Orange Bishop

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
E Orix

The O/Bishop is the last Weaver we have here that comes into colour, generally late Nov. early Dec.
In Oct this year I noticed a nest just like the Bishops build, it was a surprise when I saw a female O/Bishop leave the nest.
The nest contained 2 eggs but I was sure they would be infertile as the male was not showing any breeding plumage at all.
My line of thought was males were infertile until the hormonal change occurred and they came into colour.
That has all changed now as one of the eggs hatched(being fertile) and in due time a young Bishop fledged.
It was so early and has totally changed my thought on the whole subject.
I know the Weavers start setting up their breeding areas well before going in to breeding colour but to be fertile and breed was a surprise
You never stop learning!!!!
Myzomela

Interesting experience E Orix.

Was the cock a young or older bird? Perhaps more mature birds can have some fertility before the colour changes have had time to occur if conditions are right?

I love seeing things that surprise you like that!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Spitfire

I was given a trio of Grenadier Weavers from a very warm aviary in July and the cock bird was still in full plumage. Coming into my open aviary he reversed to normal sparrow colour.
Now middle of December it is whistling like crazy, build 2 nests, but not any colour on him yet. EOrix do you think he.ll colour up this season? and if he's fertile without colour I will keep you posted.
E Orix

The feather change will happen quite frequently.
Birds in colour when moved especially some distance will quite often go out of full breeding colour and for that season just seem to be in limbo.
If you had of asked this question 2 months ago I would have said out of colour not fertile now I am not sure.
With your cock bird building nests it will depend on the hen birds. Generally it can be a problem with Grenadier with the females laying eggs on the ground as the cock bird hasn't built a suitable nest.
These days I have come to realise the importance of the Weaver cock birds. A good active ,nest building male is worth numerous hens.
I have seen collections where there were numerous females just sitting there waiting for the nests to be built. Often a season is wasted because
of the lack for work by the cock bird. I feel one reason cock birds don't get too active is that they need to be housed in the breeding aviary
prior to coming into colour, they set up their territory and wait for the females to arrive.
I hope he is fertile and if so please let me know.
branchez

Hi David,you have solved a mystery for me,found these 2 eggs in the grass on the aviary floor and not knowing who they belonged to I asked Glenn and he said they were Grenadier weavers eggs.Where they were lying there was no sign of a nest in that area so it looks like the cock is a bit lazy as he is fully coloured.Picked another egg up today in the same area.
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E Orix

If you have Madagascar Weavers sitting they will rear them.
My very first Grenadier I bred (1969) was from an egg off the floor and reared by Madagascars.It turned out to be a hen.
By the way they were quite expensive back then. I paid Sergio Casagrande $375 for the original pair.
Myzomela

Now there's a blast from the past E Orix.
Every Saturday morning I would buy The Age newspaper and read the Birds for Sale classifieds and look forward to his ads.
I used to love the few opportunities I got to visit Sergio's dealership as a kid- convincing my dad to drive to the other side of Melbourne was tough work!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
TomDeGraaff

Myzomela wrote:Now there's a blast from the past E Orix.
Every Saturday morning I would buy The Age newspaper and read the Birds for Sale classifieds and look forward to his ads.
I used to love the few opportunities I got to visit Sergio's dealership as a kid- convincing my dad to drive to the other side of Melbourne was tough work!
Me too, Myzo. I would pester Dad to buy the Saturday Age to look through the lists from Sergio, Beattie, Edwardes Street, Byfield, Rom, Hughesdale, Nunawading and later Derek Appleby and Jimmy Hill (long time dealer) at Haig Street.
Those were "freer" days re licences, exotic rarities and birds in bathrooms!!
Tom
branchez

E Orix wrote:If you have Madagascar Weavers sitting they will rear them.
My very first Grenadier I bred (1969) was from an egg off the floor and reared by Madagascars.It turned out to be a hen.
By the way they were quite expensive back then. I paid Sergio Casagrande $375 for the original pair.
No Madagascar's,have a pair of Nepoleons with the cock just starting to show a few yellow feathers.
E Orix

I doubt if the Napoleons would rear them, mainly due to the difference in fledging time.
No facts just a presumption the Napoleon fledges at least 2 days quicker than a Grenadier and the female may push it out early.
Just hope the male decides to get on with nest building for you.

Return to “For any species not listed below”