Worming softbills

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
crazy cuban

How does one go about worming softbills?
With the insectivorous species (i.e. wrens, chats, robins), would it just be the same as with finches through the water?
What about things like honeyeaters, as I imagine they can just go off their nectar mix instead of water worst case scenario for several hours
Does the dosage rate change?
CC
Craig52

crazy cuban wrote:How does one go about worming softbills?
With the insectivorous species (i.e. wrens, chats, robins), would it just be the same as with finches through the water?
What about things like honeyeaters, as I imagine they can just go off their nectar mix instead of water worst case scenario for several hours
Does the dosage rate change?
I don't think anyone worms softbills,they have no crop i think and they have a different gut system to finches but others may be able to comment better than me as i haven't kept softbills for several years. Cheers Craig
SamDavis

From what I'm told it is not really necessary to worm softbills, however it wont hurt. My softbills are all in with finches and small parrots and hence have been wormed along with them. I've only recently got softbills so limited experience so I could be wrong.
arthur

crazy cuban

Would the dosage rate to finches be the same to the aoftbills? The main problem I'm seeing is that the honeyeaters will just switch to a nectar mix available and not consume any of the wormer itself.
CC
TomDeGraaff

What about tapeworm?
Tiaris

Mine get wormed along with the finches.
Myzomela

Any bird can potentially be infected with worms, even softbills.
Because softbills are only kept in low numbers, and even fewer are taken to vets, it is hard to get a real handle on how common a problem worms are. However, from my zoo experience softbills certainly can get worms.
As Mike Cannon states in his article, gizzard and tapeworms are the most common culprits but threadworms/hairworms (Capillaria) are also a problem and can be difficult to treat successfully.

The main advantage with softbills is that usually they are not kept in the same density as finches and this in itself decreases the likelihood of worm transmission.
I wonder if the increasing popularity of softbills and mixing them with finches in large planted aviaries may change this.
The worming protocols used for finches are fine for softbills as Tiaris has stated. The question as always is whether they drink enough of the medicated water for this to work.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tiaris

My Wrens & Chats are usually the first to drink when fresh water is given (probably because they are tamer than most finches) so they get their share of water-based meds.

Return to “For any species not listed below”