Red-capped Robin

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
E Orix

You will see Lichen used heavily with the Southern Yellow Robin.
As for the Red Capped ( sorry Sam) Cob Webs and more Cob Webs.
Apart from collecting CB's on a twig and letting the Robins untangle them I would let them collect their own from
inside my bird room and walk ways. I wish I had them now because in those days everything looked neater.
SamDavis

Got a heap of web now - thanks to Blloyd :thumbup: . The hen's having difficulty making it stick in the chosen fork - a bit sits in the fork for a while and then disappears - or maybe some other bird is pilfering. I've just cheated and wound a bit around one branch in the hope this would give her a start. We'll see how she goes today.

Anyone know how long do they normally take to build (E Orix)?
Blloyd

Glad to be of assistance Sam. Let's hope they nest now and help me start my robin collection
Craig52

Keep the pics coming of the nest build stages Sam if you can. Craig
garymc

Sam

I had the same problem with my red-caps in that the web placed on the tree fork kept falling off/disappearing.

Apparently fresh web is much much better but not always easy to get.

I was succesful a couple of times by making a small wire basket and tying it to the chosen fork. I added and shaped some coconut fibre and the hen took to it immediately.

It might be worth a shot if the problem persists.
SamDavis

Thanks Gary,

She gave up on the previous nest building attempt but I recently spotted the cock feeding her so might get going again. I need to find some time to sit and watch her and find her preferred site. The previous fork was not only hard to build on but was just in a stupid location.

Regards,
Sam
garymc

What I did noticed was when a nest site was being chosen she would get down low and appear to rub her belly back and forth in the fork. Witnessing this may give you a reasonable idea as to where she may be hoping to nest.
arthur

RC ROBIN.jpg
Have uploaded pix that illustrate articles from AF and SH "Softbills and Native Pigeons" magazine March 2003

RCR's are apparently pretty tolerant of assistance with their nesting endeavours, and eclectic in their choice of materials

If you cannot access the mag. I may be able to post text . . depending on my limited tech skills

Edit: print unreadable to me, so . . " note coconut fibre waste, string, and sticky tape, supporting unstable white pool filter nest"

PS In 2003 (and probably to this day) S&NP's policy was to allow reproduction of material provided that such material was fully acknowledged
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “For any species not listed below”