Red-capped Robin

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
SamDavis

Hen arrived this afternoon. She looks to be fit and healthy.
rcr_hen.jpg
Amazingly I ran into a mate at the airport who was picking up blue gouldians from gomer. Another couple were awaiting a Hahns Macaw and there was a never ending train of puppies arriving. Here's some labrdoodles...
pups.jpg
2 owners who'd never met before were collecting them. I'm not sure how they decided which one each would take.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rox

Absolutely stunning!!! Glad you found a hen!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now for the patient and hopefully not too long wait for them to bond and breed. :thumbup:
LML
LML
SamDavis

Bit of courting and nesting going on... Anyone got any tips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVl0hZZq_wk
matcho

Sam,
I have one tip....keep doing what you are doing! You are making us all drool!

Great stuff.

Ken.
matcho

Sam,

In hindsight what about getting some silkworms, letting them make the cocoons and then taking it off and spreading around the aviary? I am sure the raw silk can be kept in containers until needed and the pupa can be dried and used in a supplement for insectivores... Win win.

Just my thoughts.

Ken.
Craig52

That's great Sam fingers crossed. I would suggest spider webs, lichen and peat moss. I see there is a few webs in the aviary but go twirling in the barn and spread it around the aviary or just on the wire. :thumbup: Craig
SamDavis

Craig52 wrote:That's great Sam fingers crossed. I would suggest spider webs, lichen and peat moss. I see there is a few webs in the aviary but go twirling in the barn and spread it around the aviary or just on the wire. :thumbup: Craig
By "lichen" do you mean or think they'd go for that light green crap that grows on the south side of rooves?
SamDavis

matcho wrote:Sam,

In hindsight what about getting some silkworms, letting them make the cocoons and then taking it off and spreading around the aviary? I am sure the raw silk can be kept in containers until needed and the pupa can be dried and used in a supplement for insectivores... Win win.

Just my thoughts.

Ken.
:thumbup: Good thinking, as spider web is now in short supply around her.
Craig52

SamDavis wrote:
Craig52 wrote:That's great Sam fingers crossed. I would suggest spider webs, lichen and peat moss. I see there is a few webs in the aviary but go twirling in the barn and spread it around the aviary or just on the wire. :thumbup: Craig
By "lichen" do you mean or think they'd go for that light green crap that grows on the south side of rooves?
No on rocks and especially on trees. Sorry but i didn't see the other site where spider webs were the main comment Sam. Most of the pics i have seen with robins on nests, are lined with lichen on the outside to the top edge and very camouflaged to the rest of the branches with lichen. Craig :thumbup:

Return to “For any species not listed below”