Song Thrushes

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
crazy cuban

I understand they are an introduced species and can be found in and around the Melbourne area.
They're pretty drab as far as appearance goes, but they have a great song ( a bit like a skylark)

Anyone have any experience in the care of these birds?
CC
Craig52

They're pretty drab as far as appearance goes, but they have a great song ( a bit like a skylark)

I don't agree with that,i have seen speculed song thrushes up close and they are magnificant looking birds.There is a Maltese guy in a Western Melbourne suburb that keeps them in small cages, he hangs them on the side fence daily and they sing beautifully then brings them inside for the night. Cheers Craig
Spitfire

Hi crazy cuban, Bred the Song Thrush for 5 years. Haven't got them now as it got a bit hectic Handfeeding babies from 3 pairs.
I had to hand feed as they were eating me out of house and home, with all the live food that they consume in the breeding season.
Handfeeding I used Game Bird Starter mashed with warm water, that saved my meal worms, snails, maggots and garden worms for the parents.
Only the male whistles, more like a Blackbird than a Skylark.
They are becoming rather rare around Melbourne Suburbs as the Snail pellets poison is decimating them. snail eats poison, thrush eats snail, instant death.

Return to “For any species not listed below”