Red backed wrens

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
arthur

They are not pretty . .

They are absolutely beautiful :soppy:

But so was Mata Hari

I've been told :silent:
Tiaris

Whilst my experience with wrens is still very limited (only 3 years with 2 species - Splendid & Variegated), I still haven't seen any serious aggression from them towards the finches in my aviaries.
HOWEVER, I have made a conscious effort to: provide extra dense habitat planting and cut brush at all levels in my wren aviaries; to stock them at greatly reduced stocking density compared to my other finch aviaries; to select only boisterous finch species to share their aviary (eg. Yellow Siskins, BFPFs, Nuns); to select relatively non-insectivourous finches to avoid competition between wrens & finches for live food (no Cordons, Pytilias, Weavers, etc); to regularly remove independent young of both the wrens & finches from those aviaries to keep things as non-competitive as possible; and most importantly to carefully observe for any problems or potential problems with an over-riding view to easing any potential sources of competition for resources within those aviaries.
With these measures, so far - so good regarding aggression/conflict here to date and I have thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular beauty & constant activity the wrens have added to my aviaries.
Hopefully WW3 won't break out in my aviaries tomorrow & make me eat my words & as I said, I'm far from an expert with them but just wanted to stress that there are effective precautionary measures which can be applied to avoid problems with keeping wrens in finch aviaries. I have to also recommend to anyone venturing into them for the first time to chew the ear of existing softbill people & take on board their advice. I certainly wouldn't have even tried them if not for the considerable help & advice of GMc.

Return to “For any species not listed below”