Red backed wrens

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Blloyd

I'm looking to keep the red backed wren and trying to get information on who keeps them and how well they mix with honeyeaters and a few finch species. Will be housed in a planted aviary 3x4.5x2.4m
SamDavis

I'd also like to know who keeps them. Might get some too. :thumbup:
Tiaris

Try VR1ton.
arthur

Don't try Qld . .

:irked: :irked: :irked:
VR1Ton

Had one pair fledge some young in the last couple of days while on holidays, also had one young from another pair take swimming lessons as well, you win some you lose some, but will be down again in another week or 2. Mine are in with Scarlet Honeyeaters & Diggles, the other pair are on their own after killing young masks, belting the adult masks, diamonds, & Scalet Honeyeaters after breeding in with the same birds for 2 years.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations on the successess VR. Pity about the loss and the temper tantrum.
LML
LML
Blloyd

Thanks for the feedback. I have been told all fairy wrens can be aggressive and can't be trusted. Even if the parents are docile, the offspring can be killers. Love the wrens and just hoping I can get a pair in without any dramas for other occupants.
SamDavis

VR1Ton wrote:Mine are in with Scarlet Honeyeaters & Diggles, the other pair are on their own after killing young masks, belting the adult masks, diamonds, & Scalet Honeyeaters after breeding in with the same birds for 2 years.
Pete, do you think Red-backs are any different in this regard compared to other wren species or just pot luck, deep breath, fingers crossed and hope for the best?
arthur

Years ago when I first found this forum, I warned against wrens being kept with ANY other birds, and was poo-poo'd by many . . :think:

Will repeat . . Wrens may go months; may go years, but will sooner or later despatch some or all of their co-inhabitants . . no matter what aviary size

If it hasn't happened in your aviaries yet . . you have been lucky

I have never kept Red-Backed Wrens, being a law-abiding :innocent: Banana Bender . . but being of the same family, why wouldn't they share the family traits
SamDavis

arthur wrote:Years ago when I first found this forum, I warned against wrens being kept with ANY other birds, and was poo-poo'd by many . . :think:

Will repeat . . Wrens may go months; may go years, but will sooner or later despatch some or all of their co-inhabitants . . no matter what aviary size

If it hasn't happened in your aviaries yet . . you have been lucky

I have never kept Red-Backed Wrens, being a law-abiding :innocent: Banana Bender . . but being of the same family, why wouldn't they share the family traits
But Arthur, they're so priiiiitttttty.... so darned pretty, and so confiding, they force us to all have a go (and I guess learn your lesson for ourselves). :problem:

Return to “For any species not listed below”