What is this?

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So Arthur are you going to be putting up a couple of fancy nests for your pair and their relos to choose from next year? :parp:
LML
LML
arthur

It would be an interesting experiment . .

Might just give it a run

Have to get permission from 'her indoors' though

You know how these things work :silent:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeh. Hubby grumbles, why do you need all this stuff for the birds? And I grumble, why do you need all this stuff for making things? Ain't married life grand. Back on topic now. Hope the birds come back annually, it would be great to have them established.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote: Hope the birds come back annually, it would be great to have them established.
LML
Well when I lived in far north they were within a week or two of their breeding times every year without fail.. usually two nest per season...odd times only one? but were a great little bird to have around knocking off all the spiders around the house as well as feeding in grevillas etc.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

sunbird towel.jpg

"My" sunbirds have begun building . . same spot . . about a fortnight ago

But the cold snap has seen no activity for 3 or 4 days

The attached pic is of "my neighbors' " sunbirds . . about 100m from our house . . adaptable, would be an understatement

They would make great aviary subjects . . and I know that H.C. had some before he passed away

Don't know if they are currently represented in NSW aviaries

The current relationship between the "authorities" and aviculture in NSW :clap: and the softbill expertise of a growing number in that state, gives reason for optimism . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storz

Arthur I noticed there is no posting for last year, where they there. Are they around all year or do they return to nest in the same spot?
arthur

Were around but didn't nest on the patio

In the past,they would always nest in the carshed but if fledglings left home when the shed was shut, they fell victim to my fox-terrier

I resorted to pulling their nests down, and tied the piece of cord on the patio to encourage them there . . they respond to anything that hangs down, cord, thin tie wire, thin chain . . old doormat / towel (as above)

The birds seem to disappear during the colder months, probably because of the lack of flowering blossoms . .

Sunbirds are extremely inquisitive and will venture inside houses if a door or window is left open
Storz

arthur wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 08:47 Were around but didn't nest on the patio

In the past,they would always nest in the carshed but if fledglings left home when the shed was shut, they fell victim to my fox-terrier

I resorted to pulling their nests down, and tied the piece of cord on the patio to encourage them there . . they respond to anything that hangs down, cord, thin tie wire, thin chain . . old doormat / towel (as above)

The birds seem to disappear during the colder months, probably because of the lack of flowering blossoms . .

Sunbirds are extremely inquisitive and will venture inside houses if a door or window is left open
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Its not only cage birds I am interested in, I love learning something, new a beautiful bird
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah Foxys and Jackys Lovely dogs but not well behaved round fledglings or lizards. My girl was a Jacky so been there.
Hope you have a great result this year.
LML
LML

Return to “For any species not listed below”