Little Kingfishers

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mattymeischke wrote:Wow, Tintola, I think I want to be you when I grow up...
Wompoos, Sacreds....

Do you have an opening for an acolyte?

Do tell: do they need lots of live invertebrates with the odd frog, or are they happy with dead fish?
Do they need running water nearby (as I have heard said)?

Looking forward to those photos......
Don't forget the bee eaters ;)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tintola

Sacreds are a land based kingfisher ie. they live on grasshoppers, lizards, beetles and almost anything else that moves on land. However they are adaptable and on Norfolk Island and other shoreline and estuary habitats they hang around the shore at low tide and catch small fish, crabs etc from the rock pools. Mine are maintained during the non-breeding season on chopped roo mince, chopped pilchards and a few mealies and crickets. During the breeding season I too use copious amounts of Gambusias (mosquito fish) firstly so that the hen lays a good number of eggs with no problems and secondly to ensure good rapid growth of the chicks.(up to 60 to 80 fish per day when feeding chicks) That is where I have been today,catching them for the next week. Photos of KFs tomorrow.
P.S. If you want to see what I keep, go to "Introduce yourself" March 2011... Oh here it is.

> Tintola on 08 Mar 2011, 22:03

I found this site by default on another bird forum and I can see already that it is much more friendly than that one.
I keep a few finches but I am mainly interested in softbills
Here is a list of the birds that I keep and usually breed.
Splendid,Torquoise and Red Backed Wrens.
Pigeons,(purple crowned,rose crowned,wompoo,spinifex,squatter, brush bronze-wings, brown ,white headed, green winged, new guinea ground, bleeding heart, and diamond and talpacotti doves)
Musk lorikeets,hooded parrots, scarlet chested parrots, plum-head parrots, regent bowerbirds, satin bowerbirds, sacred kingfishers, crimson chats, Pekin robins, bulbuls, blackbirds, song thrush, stone curlews, silvereyes, glossy starlings, yellow throated scrub wrens, golden and lady amherst pheasants, scarlet honeyeaters, rainbow bee-eaters, buff banded rails, noisy pitta,
grenadier and Madagascar weavers, Gouldian's and a few other finches and canaries.
Hoping to be able to chat with bird people with similar interests.
Last edited by Tintola on 20 Nov 2011, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
mattymeischke

cannot type - am struck dumb!
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tintola

Jayburd wrote:
mattymeischke wrote:Wow, Tintola, I think I want to be you when I grow up...
Wompoos, Sacreds.... DID I SAY THAT I HAD GROWN UP?

Do you have an opening for an acolyte? ALREADY HAVE ONE!

Do tell: do they need lots of live invertebrates with the odd frog, or are they happy with dead fish? NO, SEE ABOVE.
Do they need running water nearby (as I have heard said)? NO.

Looking forward to those photos......
OK. TOMORROW

Don't forget the bee eaters ;)
HOW COULD I, THEY ARE SO DEMANDING!
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mattymeischke

Tintola wrote:DID I SAY THAT I HAD GROWN UP?
Dear Sir,
I had no intention of offending with the implicit accusation that you had grown up.
It is with solemn regret that I have recently noticed, approaching my fifth decade, that I seem to have grown up a bit somewhere along the line. I am hoping that there may be some way to reverse this, but if I ever am really fully grown up I might have sufficient wherewithal to care for these demanding and beautiful creatures.

Yours in cowed obesiance,
mm.

:cloppy:
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
E Orix

A couple of years ago i visited a large Softbill collection in California.
One section housed Sun Bittens and numerous Kingfishers.
Quite beautiful but you really needed a cloths peg to put on your nose.
That section smelt like a fish market during a heatwave, it was then that I decided fish eating softbills were not my number
one choice.
Tintola

A single pair in a planted aviary open to rain and the odd watering doesn't smell. But the nest box after fledging...... that is putrid. Any wonder that the young want to leave it. :sick:
Tintola

A single pair in a planted aviary open to rain and the odd watering doesn't smell. But the nest box after fledging...... that is putrid. Any wonder that the young want to leave it. :sick:

Matty.. I tried "growing up" once but I didn't like it, too many restrictions. :shh:
Danny

Tintola wrote:A single pair in a planted aviary open to rain and the odd watering doesn't smell. But the nest box after fledging...... that is putrid. Any wonder that the young want to leave it. :sick:

Matty.. I tried "growing up" once but I didn't like it, too many restrictions. :shh:
I refuse to 'grow up' out of principal - nobody else I associate with daily seems to have done it so why should I. Mind you I stay at home most days with 3 under 6 so that could influence my associations a little, apart from that I occasionally catch up with Jeff. Oh, crap - I'm doomed.

Return to “For any species not listed below”