Sexing juvenile greenfinches.

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
mattymeischke

Is it possible to visually sex greenfinch fledgelings?

Of the three just fledged, two have solid greenish-brown fronts, and the other has a lighter front with some scalloping; I'm wondering if it is two cocks and a hen.....
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Craig52

I would say you are probably right Matty,unless that toxic waste syndrome is showing its ugly head again :lol: by the way what happened with that star. Craig
mattymeischke

crocnshas wrote:I would say you are probably right Matty,unless that toxic waste syndrome is showing its ugly head again :lol:
I hope not; beleive it or not, I've been trying to weed out mutations for some time. The parents are wild caught so it seems unlikely they would be splits.
crocnshas wrote:...by the way what happened with that star. Craig
There are two now, one very pale and one noticeably paler than the normals. They are both hens, and both fully coloured now. If someone is seriously interested in trying to breed them up I'm happy to part with one or both of them.
Otherwise, I'll put them to normal cocks and see what happens.

Bloody mutants keep cropping up and I'll start getting paranoid if that young greenie is a mutant too. :crazy:
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Non Specific Questions”