Common Grenadier (Uraeginthus granatinus)

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Tiaris

Termites (Australian ones at least) don't generally require added calcium supplementation as they have a very good calcium:phosphorus ratio compared to other livefoods. Mineral supplements such as cuttlebone, eggshells, etc were also available to my mate's Purple Grenadiers. He didn't have any mealworms, maggots or other livefood available to them when I was there - just a constantly abundant live termite supply and plenty of fresh grass seedheads (mostly green panic & red pannicum heads).
I reckon they would need a larger aviary space for successful breeding compared to most serinus/carduelis species. ie. not just a small cage. My friend's aviaries were about 1.5m x 6m.
dukem

Tiaris wrote:Termites (Australian ones at least) don't generally require added calcium supplementation as they have a very good calcium:phosphorus ratio compared to other livefoods. Mineral supplements such as cuttlebone, eggshells, etc were also available to my mate's Purple Grenadiers. He didn't have any mealworms, maggots or other livefood available to them when I was there - just a constantly abundant live termite supply and plenty of fresh grass seedheads (mostly green panic & red pannicum heads).
I reckon they would need a larger aviary space for successful breeding compared to most serinus/carduelis species. ie. not just a small cage. My friend's aviaries were about 1.5m x 6m.
Thanks for the information. About the space i have a large aviary is one of the resons to get this birds i had alot of space with only 4 birds i was loking for a specie that was compatible with the others.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope you have success with them.
LML
LML

Return to “Non Specific Questions”