My new Pin-Tailed Parrot Finches

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Andrew

iaos wrote:Stunning.

Do you think they are captive bred or wild caught?

Cheers Ian
Ian,

They are wild caught birds, and pretty flighty. However, they seemed to calm down when my kids started saying hello (they are 1 and 4)!

The yellow was amongst the reds. The only male yellow there, so this makes me think it was part of that flock.
Andrew

finchbreeder wrote:Pretty, and easy to sex. If they are two different colour versions of the same type of finch. As it would appear. It might be best to breed them in seperate avairys. Do you have space for a couple of long avairys? Long to allow for the fast flight they are reputed to enjoy.
LML
Good thought. I didn't want to miss out on these so I bought them before my new aviaries are ready. For the next month they will have a 4 metre long aviary, but the new ones will be 20' x 8'.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds perfect from what I have read. Not a breeder of parrott finches myself due to a number of space and interest reasons. Hope you have lots of luck.
LML
LML
firetail555

They dont need that much room. 3m in length is adequate.
Brisbane Breeder

Pin Tails were available in Australia. I saw some while buying parrots at an aviary in Toowong Brisbane back in 76/77.
GregH

If these birds are as you suspect, wild-caught, keep them in a small breeding cabinet so that they aren't too exposed and can retreat from you - don't put them in a large aviary for at least 3-4 months or they may bash themselves to death. They are truly stunning birds and it would be a real shame not to have the opportunity to breed from them and pass on the germ-line so that others can enjoy them too. In Asia there are far too many keepers as opposed to breeders and getting native finches is increasingly difficult as they enforce their laws (I used to be in the Philippines). Singapore is a fine city so don't go boasting locally of your new birds.
arthur

Well I must say that I am completely OK with fining people fo urinating in lifts :crazy:
arthur

Brisbane Breeder wrote:Pin Tails were available in Australia. I saw some while buying parrots at an aviary in Toowong Brisbane back in 76/77.

If it was the aviary that I am thinking of, it belonged to a very colourful character.

He was very well off, and loved nothing better than 'takin on' the 'authorities'

He battled for years with the Brisbane City Council over the height of his aviary . . IT WAS PRETTY TALL

And he had no respect for NPWS officers, referring to them (quite accurately) as "our enemies", and turned his hose on to one who happened to remark on the hot weather in small talk while 'visiting'

Lest I get too far off topic . .

Alan R. (another very large aviary) who lived in Sherwood had Pintailed Nonpareils in the 70's, but lost them to flood

He also had Half-Masked Weavers if my memory serves me correctly :(
SamDavis

arthur wrote:Well I must say that I am completely OK with fining people fo urinating in lifts :crazy:
Agree 100%, but the relevance of this comment totally escapes me???? :?

EDIT: No image when I posted - now the image appears it all becomes clear.
Andrew

GregH, thanks for your advice on keeping in a small aviary first. There are two observations (among others) after living in Singapore for a few years. The first is that there is a lot that is not very efficient here, despite its reputation, and the second is that although there are lots of legislated rules and restrictions, they are not very good at enforcing them. It would seem strange that you would have to have legislation against urinating in a lift, but it does happen a fair bit (from seeing and smelling the after effects!) You hardly see police; and residents break these so called laws regularly, without any sense that they will get caught or fined. The no eating nor drinking on a train station was a hard one to get used to, I must admit. Thanks all for the comments. I will try to post any updates as they occur.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”