Oriental Geenfinch (Carduelis sinica)

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
bjc787

is there anyone else breeding these birds as I have just bred some young ones and would like to try to find other people with them so I can purchase more.
elferoz777

Im on the hunt for some also so ill let you know if I find anything.

Could upload some photos of your birds?

Congrats on your success with them.

Steve
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Spitfire

They used to be a favorite of mine and have bred quite a few over the years, but unfortunately I could never sell the younsters.So now I don't have them.
Down here in Melbourne there seems to be a dislike for the Oriental, the Greenfinch and the Goldfinch. I don't know what it is and why is it so. Must be that the Goldfinch and Greenfinch
are wild caught and birdkeepers don't see the need to waste their aviary space. I am at the present trying to breed the Isabel Greenfinch.
elferoz777

You are right spitfire, people just assume these birds are all trapped and there is a distrust associated with these birds and their apparent breeders. My goal is to breed the goldfinches and green finches to a point where they are like the few captive bred colonies I saw in Spain. After a few generation the birds are hardy free breeders and then mutations come into it.

Good luck with your green finches.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

I am not being rude or racious but certain European Nationalities are attracted to these birds and in most instances their parents kept them as well in their home towns.
I have had ago with both goldies and green finches and always found them to bold and/or aggressive to the smaller grass finches around the breeding season in a mixed collection so they were moved on which is what most grass finch breeders do with them.
These same Nationalities are also the ones that legally trap them down here and send them all around the country and overseas for $5.00 each so the effort of breeding them and then trying to sell the young for next to nothing imo is a waste of effort.
I have never kept Oriental green finches but to me they are a stunning looking bird so i can't comment on their behavior in an aviary,i also believe there was a lot hybrids with green finches around which are fairly hard to tell apart. Craig
bjc787

couldn't get a pic of the parents (they won't sit still)
but got the chicks

i keep mine in a mixed aviary and have had no aggression to the other birds, most of the other pairs are currently breeding aswell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomDeGraaff

That's a really great series of photos!
Great reference material.
Thanks for sharing them and congratulations.
Tom

Return to “Non Specific Questions”