Breeding black and white crossed nuns

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

who is going to feed something for up to 5 or 6 years with no return and also wasting space?
Me thats who. I have made this kind of mistake and I believe it is beholden of the perpetrator to deal with what they have done. So I do. It serves as a reminder to be more aware in the future. Also I really am a softy, but an ethical one.
LML
LML
Wally Waxbill

Good on ya finch breeder! ;-)
E Orix

vettpilot
It annoys me to hear that, these morons need a kick where the sun doesn't shine.
If he checked he would see White Headed Indonesia, Black Headed Thailand
Sadly I see Tri Nuns getting around with dirty brown feathers on the white chest area.
All those Munias are really location forms and will cross so easily.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a line of thought, which i understand but do not subscribe to. That if they cross in nature what is the problem? The problem is we have so few pure birds that it is our duty to keep them pure and producing to the best of our ability. I love the monocromatic munias and nuns. I would love to keep more but because of lack of avairys/space restrain from doing so.
LML
LML
arthur

Are we being a little hard on Masterfincher . .

The 'master' in his nic suggests to me a younger person rather than any claim to greatness

He realises his (or rather his birds) slip; it was completely unintentional; it won't happen again

He has asked for advice . . and copped a spray

Put your hand up if you have never in your finch breeding career ever produced a hybrid . . Well done :clap:

It is not only related species like the munias that will hybridise . .

I once produced a hybrid which was the offspring of Crimson and/ or Cordon and/ or Saint . . it seemed to have characteristics of all three and I was never sure because it came from a large aviary and I never saw parents feeding it

Fortunately for me (another softie) a lady kept, but did not breed with, an aviary of hybrid finches ( which she regarded a curiosities ) . . She became the proud owner. Her birds were passed on to her by various 'sinners' of the area

It is (or at least it seems) not that long ago that agricultural shows, and bird shows had a 'hybrids section' which was hotly contested

Modern day aviculture rightly regards hybrids as less than desirable, but hybrids are perhaps deserving of a better fate than being "knocked in the head"
E Orix

Arthur
Two things, your opinion of a spray is different than mine.
I bet this episode will etch in the memory bank.
In nearly 50 years of breeding birds I have not bred one hybrid.
arthur

E Orix wrote:Arthur
Two things, your opinion of a spray is different than mine. . . I did admit to being a softie
I bet this episode will etch in the memory bank.
In nearly 50 years of breeding birds I have not bred one hybrid. . . Well done :clap: :clap:
:thumbup:
E Orix

Apparently some people thought I was referring to Masterfincher as a moron.
This is totally incorrect, I was referring to vettepilots post outlining what some one was doing
in his area and hybridising on purpose. That person is the moron because it just ruins perfectly good strains
for the future.
Wally Waxbill

E Orix I understood who you were referring to and agree, as for masterfincher I think it's an honest mistake and he has learned from it
COUNTRY CAPITAL

hopefully we learn from our mistakes.... :oops:
I came clean a few years ago when I bred a zebra/fire clutch of young....lovely little hybrid mongrels, so never say no it cannot happen with "my" birds.
they enjoyed a reasonable existence and were not allowed to breed(probably sterile).
I recall receiving quite a "spray" also for my unintended indiscretion....only made me more determined not to let it happen again.
anyone who knowingly produces hybrids gets a big :thumbdown: from me.

fawn and cinnamon mutation in stars is my bugbear, let alone trying to get pure gouldians!!
Hybridization is at least easier to recognise and combat.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”