Aurora

Includes Species Profile
alan

About 6 months ago my mate was telling me about this Aurora how its head has a few white feathers on its head...3 Months later and the birds head is all white .Today I went there and asked him to catch it so I could get a few photos , now the white is half way along its back .This bird is about 2 years old and it has breed .The birds get live food every day (termites) and always have plenty of greens etc ... The hen looks normal ..Any one with any ideas ? ...Cheers Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alan on 07 Feb 2016, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
garyh

No idea,but i have always loved the Aurora,that bird looks fantastic ,hope he does well with it,garyh
Craig52

Nice looking bird, it's beak is also pied and probably some of its toenails. It's not unusual for a pied bird to get more pied every time it moults, similar to Redfaced Parrot finches. Craig :thumbup:
VR1Ton

White headed? feet look slightly paler than a normal as well as the pied beak. According to Kingstons latest book, some of these were breed in NZ in the mid 90's, from stock he sent over, so maybe they have some of the same genes in them. But like all exotics, it's bound to happen eventually.
mr skeeter

a chap up north who's name i won't mention got a female aurora from sydney with white markings and i think he had no luck breeding them ???? which might b a good thing. as i think the normal aurora is a great looking bird and hope it stays that way. just my opinion. cheers mick
Tiaris

I mate of mine has pied Auroras nearly established in his collection. Some of his are very similar to this one.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like it, but would not like to see only these and no normals. There is room for every mutation if managed so the original remains.
LML
LML
arthur

finchbreeder wrote:I like it, but would not like to see only these and no normals. There is room for every mutation if managed so the original remains.
LML
What Finchbreeder says . .

Surely we've come a long way from the 'drive a wooden stake through their hearts' days

If you don't want to keep mutations . . Your choice

And vice versa
Cmendi00

This Aurora seems to be a progressive pied. Born normal and will turn pied with time.

Carlos
avishoot

a lower hunter valley breeder had auroras that would throw this mutation occasionally but they were never established to my knowledge . i only ever knew of cock birds with this mutation .
I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes.
Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Aurora”