Hen Blue Cap a hybrid?

Includes Species Profile
MariusStegmann

I suspect that my BCCB hen is a hybrid. I got her as a RCCB and immediately saw that she was bigger than the male RCCB and also bigger that the previous female that I lost. They had 2 clutches of eggs, all infertile. I decided that it is definitely a BCCB hen and got myself a BCCB male. They had a clutch of eggs, all 6 of them infertile. I then got the nagging suspicion that the female is a hybrid and therefore also infertile. The blue of my female does not seem blue enough and her beak is not red enough. I also saw on the internet that hybrids have a very upright stance and that describes my hen to a T. Here are some photos of the 2. Any Comments?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Looks like a Bluecap hen to me.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Looks like a Bluecap hen to me.
I agree with Tiaris and i also agree that BC/RCCB crosses are infertile but in this case the bird has all the bluecap traits,BC's can be very hit and miss with breeding.She may be too old or the cock maybe,when i kept BC's i was lucky to get 3 years breeding out of young pairs as their fertility quickly declines after this age. Craig
MariusStegmann

Thanks guys :D . It has a light green band that normally means the bird was a wild caught bird imported into South Africa. I will have to catch her to see if the ring had the import number. Monotwine says that the last wild caught imports into South Africa were in 2008/9. This means that she is actually too old to be fertile. I buys her at a petshop last year, thinking that she is a young bird. It is now more likely that someone bought a pair some years ago and when the male died, they sold the female back to the petshop.
mr skeeter

blue cap cock to a cordon hen eggs will b fertile
E Orix

Blue Capped Waxbill, Blue Breasted Waxbill and Red C Cordons are only demographic species as
are White Headed Munia, Black Headed Munia and Tri Coloured Munia plus
Grenadier Weavers,Fire Crowned Weaver and Orange Bishops
They all will cross within their group and they are all fertile

Return to “Blue Capped Cordon”