Pied Bluecap dilemma.

Includes Species Profile
Tony

I have had a pretty good run with Bluecaps recently.
One pair has just fledged their 20th chick since December.
Some of their offspring are showing signs ( maybe a bit more than signs) of pied although both parents look "normal"
I am concerned that the pied gene may pollute the Bluecap gene pool if I continue to
let these birds breed together. On the other hand I am concerned about breaking up
my best breeding pair..... and will this help anyway, as I guess the pied gene is not
always obvious.
Any thoughts?

Tony
Last edited by Tony on 14 Jul 2017, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Having trouble posting pics.
Help please!

Tony
Tiaris

Hi Tony.
Are the white markings just in the wing flights or elsewhere too?
Tony

Tiaris

White is in all feathers on a couple of birds and flights only on others, although as they moult, the white seems to increase.
If I could work out how to post pics, I have one hen that is quite pied!

Tony
Tiaris

That does sound very similar to the way the pied mutation works in PFs & Cordons too (increasing with each moult) so it is likely to be genetic.
As you know a really good breeding pair of BCs isn't easy to come by & the species really needs all such pairs in full production to maintain its status. If If they were mine I'd be keeping them together for as long as they are still producing numbers of normal phenotype birds of good quality.
In the past I have separated good breeding pairs of Bluecaps & even when placed back with the same compatible partner in the same breeding aviary, they never again produced well so to split them up is likely to hinder any future breeding from either of them even with new mates (IMO) so I'd be very reluctant to bust them up unless you have plenty of other pairs firing too.
I had heard of your recent success with them from a mutual friend & was very impressed with the brilliant innovative way you presented their maggots to help overcome the strong association of Bluecaps (and other species) to termites - very much worth sharing with others I reckon (Your place to do it rather than me though, since its your idea).
Tony

Thanks Tiaris.

I cannot however claim the idea of mixing maggots with termite nest remnants as mine.
I read it on here somewhere I believe, possibly one of Craig's posts!
It certainly made a big difference to my results, and I am hoping that future generations
will produce without the need for this method.
I must admit also that small crickets were taken readily and this I believe helped also.

Tony
Tiaris

That's interesting with the crickets. I've also heard of Melbas (another termite species) being prolific fed predominantly on young crickets. Of the common livefoods, crickets are the most similar to termites nutritionally.
Tony

Picture of young Bluecap hen approx. 6 months old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

G'day Tony, yes it was me that mixed the termites with maggots and termite nest and a couple of drops of aniseed oil.

I don't know what to say other than "oh no" with this species because of their short supply in this country but others wont care,to them it's just another mutation.
I suppose it is all up to you what you would like to do with them but at this stage i'm thinking they might need new blood in them as the mutation might be due to close relation genetic damage but just guessing.
The balls in your hands, good luck. Cheers Craig
arthur

Inbreeding does not cause mutations . . apart from allowing two birds carrying the mutant gene (probably from common ancestor) to 'find' each other thus allowing the 'mutation' to express itself visually

If there are no mutant genes in a closed flock, you can inbreed till your nose bleeds and no mutations will appear

I confess to being a 'mutation person', but not at the expense of 'normals' . . and 'pieds' are probably my least favoured

But . . these mutation Bluecaps are Bluecaps and will produce Bluecaps, pied or otherwise when paired with their own kind

Tiaris points out the pitfalls of separating producing pairs

If we take the argument to its logical conclusion, we may argue as to whether we want Pied Bluecaps or No Bluecaps

It doesn't seem that long ago that some were arguing as to whether we wanted Hybrid Bluecaps or No Bluecaps :o

No 'black-and-whites' here (no pun intended), but you can't please 'all of the people, all of the time' where mutations are concerned

Return to “Blue Capped Cordon”