false nests?

Includes Species Profile
Diane

When building nests do Cubans build a "false nest" at the top of the construction?
I have a pair of Cubans that are building a rather elaborate nest and I can see two areas that looks like entrance holes.
P1010091 (640x480).jpg
P1010092 (640x480).jpg
P1010093 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
desertbirds

Cubans seem most happy when building nests.The cock birds love it.False nests ,two entrances,stop and start again ,they do it all.Quite often the cock will build a few nests even while there are young in the nest.he will drive the hen back to nest as soon as yung fledge in some cases.They go through a mountain of nesting material over a 12 month period.
Buzzard-1

desertbirds wrote:The cock birds love it.False nests ,
Totally agree with this point :thumbup:
Diane

You're right they do seem happy when building. They have been busy stuffing this branch full of swamp grass and emu feathers for at least a month.
If I had to keep up supply to their demand I would soon get through my supply of emu feathers, but they have filled that branch that much that it all falls out the bottom and then they see the "new" grass and feathers and start stuffing again. :lol: This is the closest they have got to a usable nest.
Diane
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

off topic, but what is that brush? seems your birds love it.
any chance of a pic of the bush it came from? :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Diane

Its from a Woolly Pine. I love it and the birds seem to too. Its very soft foliage so no danger of either me or the birds poking our eyes out, even when the needles are dry they are still soft. The insect eaters seem to find something to eat in the needles and the gouldians like to strip the needles off.
P1010091 (640x480).jpg
Adenanthos sericus Silver Streak
Width to 1 metre height to 1.5 -2 metre bird attracting
Dense upright form of the Albany Woollybush. Well drained soil sunny position and tolerant of lime and coastal conditions. Excellent screen or specimen shrub and in a container makes a soft foliage alternative Christmas tree.
P1010092 (640x480).jpg
Also gets little red flowers.
My trees look a bit bent and twisted as I chop off branches for the aviaries on a regular basis, there are better pics in the link below. The first pic is the same as the label that was attached to the trees. Im expecting when they do grow a bit more that the bent, twisted look will disappear as they meet in the middle.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Adena ... 00&bih=733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do grow new branches fairly quickly, where its been cut about 5 new shoots pop up. Between the three trees I keep the 4 aviaries going along with some branches from the natives in the garden. I usually give them a quick hose off before putting in the aviaries and the birds love it. Ideal to put them in wet when I know its going to be hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

awesome :D thanks I will keep a lookout for any of them around home.
(it's bucketing down here too :( )
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
desertbirds

By the looks of it you could just build an aviary over the top of the woolly bushes :thumbup: that would save all the hassle of picking it Di.Tried those Wooly bushes here but they didnt last too long. :mrgreen:
Diane

desertbirds wrote:By the looks of it you could just build an aviary over the top of the woolly bushes
:think: Dont think the other half would go for that :thumbdown: he reckons 4 aviaries and half his shed is just about the limit. Blocking the way to his veggie beds would just about finish him off :lol:
Nice thought though, I can just picture it ;)
Diane
MadHatter

Keep working on him Di, I'm sure you will eventually wear him down. :shifty:

Return to “Cuban”