Killer cubans

Includes Species Profile
Redwing

Have been researching for weeks ready to get a new pair of birds... something a bit more challenging, lots of character and kept coming back to either parrot finches or cubans, but the differing reports on the aggression of the cubans had me concerned. Anyway went to the local bird sale today to see if they had any parrot finches and of course there weren't any but there was a nice pair of young cubans. Had a good talk to their owner who was adamant that she's never had any problems in a mixed collection and ended up buying them. So far I think they're fantastic.. relaxed, inquisitive, social, but once they're in with other birds how long do you have to wait till you can trust them and is there any warning if any aggression is going to be a problem (ie killing their aviary mates)??
toothlessjaws

its one of those things. some people have monsters other not so. personally i have never had any problems whatsoever and mine are in a pretty diverse collection. i dare say a bit of artificial selection has probably taken place, and its possible that placid strains have become more prevalent. i have however, read that they are not so good with birds of significant amounts of yellow on them, particularly green singers.

but mine are just fine. maybe release them into the aviary on a saturday morning when you know your having a quiet weekend in. that way you can monitor them for at least a couple of days to keep any aggression in check.
djb78

Cubans can be aggressive, never put more than one pair per flight as the two males will kill each other. As a rule the more space you have and plants foe cover the greater your chance will be that they will be accepting other inhabitants in their flight. I would constantly keep checking your birds to make sure that they look fine, especially at feeding times and breeding times, if the Cubans haven't attacked them till after breeding season I would say they shell be right from then on.
Danny
Tiaris

The main test of their temperament will come when they breed. If the cock aggressively hounds any young males as they approach independence this is the most likely form of aggression. Some placid males will tolerate their sons in the aviary for longer. I've found that temperament in Cubans is passed on to their offspring (not sure if learned or genetic).
Diane

Watch them with orange breasted too.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
tonytoast

I think they would be in my top five (maybe 3) finches in terms of watchability (not sure if that is a word) and enjoyment and are usually first to everything new in the aviary.....that being said, after a few years of mixed breeding results with little aggression, my cock Cuban and my cock Star had a falling out....all day, every day, they fought. The cock Cuban may not have been the instigator but he was definitely the dominator, pushing my Star to near exhaustion. So I had to make a decision between the Stars and the Cubans....the Stars won. Many reasons for this including the fact that the Stars breed about 15 young each year.

Anyway, my point being is that finches, like humans, can sometimes get grumpier with age and tolerance levels shift all the time....get them into your aviary as you will love them...but watch them closely for the signs of 'grumpy old bird' syndrome....youngish birds will be fine for a while and may never turn aggressive depending on the other personalities and space issues within your aviary.

They love pampas grass flowers and coconut fibre for nesting although I have had a couple of young Cubans get feet stuck in the coconut fibre and fail to leave the nest. Oh, and live food. Good luck with them.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have had a number of pairs of Cubans over the years and the only aggression I have had to any birds was this past year. My pair finally got everything right and fledged a chick. Much to my surprise, as they never let me see them going into or out of the nest. All was well, chick coloured up, still no problems. But to be careful I removed it/her to the adjoining avairy. Had to go away for a couple of days and left hubby finch sitting. Not being as used to their agility as I am he let junior fly over his head and back in with it's parents. When I found it on my return home it was headless. :thumbdown: They are in a 3.4 x 2 avairy and have shared with orange breasteds, stars and canarys.
LML
LML
Diane

finchbreeder wrote:They are in a 3.4 x 2 avairy and have shared with orange breasteds, stars and canarys.
Mine were in an aviary 5 x 2.8 and no problems until the OB nested and the Cubans started building near them, one morning the OB hen was flat out exhausted on the aviary floor. I put them in a cabinet on their own with some Woolly pine branches and swamp grass to hide behind till I got an aviary empty (was just waiting for 3 gouldians to finishing weaning) and they have built a nest in the cabinet so I guess they aren't too bothered by the cabinet so they will stay in there to see if they complete the nest, egg, chick routine. Ive added feathers now as they have decided that its an ok place to build. Fingers crossed.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Finchman1

I have one pair in each aviary in mixed collections in with orange breasts,parrotfinches etc..Just fledged some young a couple of weeks ago.Mine are fine and show no agression to the other birds.
Redwing

Well guess I'll be just watching them very carefully, particularly if they start breeding. Can see why people keep them, they are packed with personality for something so small, but not getting attached just in case they prove to not work out.

Return to “Cuban”