Goldfinch questions

Includes Species Profile
Craig52

Shane your bird probably died from what Myzo said and stress. Most if not all wild gold finches are trapped in Victoria where they survive the coldest weather and down to the minuses of 1,2,3 degrees or more.
Your comment of buying aviary bred ones is a good one if you can find them as most sellers will tell you they are. Craig
elferoz777

I got some aviary bred birds from a reputable breeder. They are as shy as my trapped burds and one looked a bit average recently but it bounced back well. The wild caught build and lay.

My point is its a bit of a lottery. It takes a few generations to get calm birds.

Read masimo natale book tbe goldfinch. He bred many birds and lost mosy for generations until he got them yo the point where they would breed and fledge more than 3 chicks a season.

Good luck. They are one of my favourites and they are worth keeping imo.

Good luck
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most if not all wild gold finches are trapped in Victoria
These one's were from Murray Bridge, South Australia.
He bred many birds and lost mosy for generations
Can they be colony bred? It might be an easier way to build up decent numbers of "domesticated" birds. Especially if losses are common in the earlier generations.
paintedfiretail

Hi shane keep going they are agood challange if you cant get av/b birds then buy three to four times more than you need wild caught cheep as
chips $10 each stick them in cabinets run every medication you have though them as well as building up there strength pick best of what you need
plus one spare pair ,keep up all the things they like and need and you will have success. cheers
From what i have seen they dont get on as a colony even running one extra hen causes problems.
elferoz777

Just keep the thistle, dandelion and clover up to them plus tonic mix with extra niger. That will help a lot during breeding and resettling trapped birds.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
paintedfiretail

elferoz777 wrote:Just keep the thistle, dandelion and clover up to them plus tonic mix with extra niger. That will help a lot during breeding and resettling trapped birds.

when you said clover what part of the clover is it the flower head which contains the seed heads or the leaf as well, I have been thinking of introducing the flower head when it
becomes available seasonly in my neck of the woods. cheers
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately we don't get thistle, clover or dandelion here; and I don't think the council will appreciate me introducing any of them.
From what i have seen they dont get on as a colony even running one extra hen causes problems.
That's a shame. I don't really like keeping birds in cabinets.
paintedfiretail

ShaneGowland wrote:Unfortunately we don't get thistle, clover or dandelion here; and I don't think the council will appreciate me introducing any of them.
That's a shame. I don't really like keeping birds in cabinets.

Sorry you have taken me the wrong way I to do not believe in breeding birds in cabinets as I advised you to aviary to breed your goldfinches in a earlier post.
I ment storing them in cabinets will quarantine,as you mentioned you had cabinets in a old post. cheers
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ment storing them in cabinets will quarantine,as you mentioned you had cabinets in a old post.
Sorry for the confusion; my point was that I lack the space to aviary breed multiple pairs, so without being able to colony breed I would need to rely on cabinets. I have no issue with cabinets for quarantine or temporary storage.

Return to “Goldfinch”