Success With Java Sparrows

Includes Species Profile
GregH

It's been a long time coming and considering the degree of difficulty I am mow more proud to announce that I've got some noisy baby Java sparrows. Mine are wild sourced and as such are infinitely more difficult to get to breed than my other successes (Gouldian's, Stars, Double Bars, Hecks, Zebs and Cut-throats). Australian aviary birds are largely domesticated these days and are probably even more so overseas since we can't readily dip into the gene pool. Gouldians too were once considered difficult but now aren't much more of a problem than Zebs. I presume that selection and habituation have done their magic with Java's too and that I can get a nucleus of true domesticated Javas going in my aviaries now. That will happen only if I can raise the hatchling and you can't count your chickens before they've fledged.

I'm probably overstating my success with the Javas as I did purchase 2 allegedly aviary bred Java siblings about 6 months ago and I was hoping that they might mate with a wild bird. Unfortunately I can't get split rings in the Philippines so I don't know if that's what happened. I'm off to Sydney this evening for Christmas holidays so I'll put them on the shopping list. While I'm away I hope the birds can deal with the altered feeding schedule since the helpers (domestic servants) will be in charge so I'll have to ask them to increase the amount of egg food.

The nesting Javas were (and are still) quick to hop off the nest, so I had my concerns that the eggs mightn't hatch at all and I was too scared to keep peaking after I discovered the first egg about 3 weeks ago. Anyway I've got a little more evidence concerning cane toad induced sterility in my other finches since the Javas were never exposed. I hope this toxin can quickly work its way out of their system.
GregH

I went back to Australia on Dec 18 and returned Jan 8 eager to see what was making the noises in the nest box of my Javas. The youngsters are at the point of fledging which means they are a little slower than their Australian relatives. I think there are 2 nestlings but I only pushed my luck with the one that flew out when I placed my fingers inside. Since they are wild birds I don' want to push my luck with too much interference. I brought some canary rings while I was in Sydney so I can ID the birds and I'll have to use the youngsters as bait to trap their parents and rid myself of the 4 unproductive birds. Such a pity that they aren't readily sexed and the DNA testing is more than the price of the bird.
Diane

Congratulations, the baby looks in really good shape.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to see all is well with your Javas.
Haven't had any further results from mine. But one healthy fledgling is better than nothing.
Hope the other finches show signs of coming through the "toad induced sterility" soon.
LML
LML
Will_36

Well done. Hard work to breed wild birds.
Keeping Gouldians,Double Bars,Diamonds & Painted Finches.
GregH

The day before yestersday the chick I pulled out fledged by itself (est 29 days from hatching). I was curious today and looked inside the nest to find another youngster but it looks a week younger than the one that fledged. At lunch time it had only a small amount of food in it's crop so I fed it some Avione rearing mix that I brought back from Sydney last week. I hope the parents continue to feed it as I really can only offer supplimentary feeding - I've never raised a finch before they all die. Cartimar was full of young wild-caught Javas yesterday so its obviously the season.

On the upside I heard some young in my main and unfortunately toad affected aviary so I'm hoping that my cane toad induced sterilty problem has worked itself out now that the toad is gone. Still no interesting finches there though but canaries have sure come down P6500 for a red factor that 2 years ago would have commanded P20000.
Last edited by GregH on 18 Jan 2010, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
GregH

Just up dating again. The younger one died last night - jumped onto the floor and if the cold didn't kill it outright then the fire ants would have. Aside for the empty crop and ant damage he looked fine - I guess this is another reason I should consider some gullible Society finches in a cabinet somewhere to foster when needed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A hungary pet ant eater sounds like a good idea Greg. :lol:
LML
LML
GregH

The panic Brisbane went into a few years ago was not unwarranted - fire ants are an environmental disaster whereever they've gone. Even in their South America home, ant eaters don't have more than a lick before they are forced to move on. May they never gain a foot hold.
GregH

I just came back from Java yesterday (Sukamandi) and was surprised - no Java Sparrows. I asked my host at the rice research station and he told me that they used to be there but hunting pressure as all but wiped them out. Like the Philippines it seems that there are plenty of keepers but few breeders to sustain the hobby - vey sad. On the up side there were at least two munia species on the station but I couldn't get close enough to ID them but one looked to be the Javan munia (Lonchura leucogastroides) and the other was a darker slatey bird (juvenile?). A one day work trip wasn't enough to see the bird markets of Jakarta but I believe they are nothing compared to pre H1N1 times.
Last edited by GregH on 03 Feb 2010, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Java Sparrow”