I just got a pair of melbas and........

Includes Species Profile
Finchster

Lukec wrote:Hey Finchster, did you have any luck with the Melbas?

Are there many out there?.... these guys seem to be on the decline
Not much luck i only breed 1 cock last season but i put it down to just feeding mealies.
Im going to try maggots this spring and see how we go. Yeah i haven't seen many around
none at the sales or anything i wonder if anyone else has seen many around?
Anthony keeping Blue faced Parrot Finches/ normal yellow & Yellow fawn stars/ Melba's/ Red Faced Pytilia/ Fawn St Helena.
E Orix

Welcome back Lukec how was the holiday.
Any bird photos for the group
thewaxbill

I have bred Melba Finches in the past and have actually just purchased some to breed with this year, i do not use any livefood and have not done so for around 5/6 years now, mealworms are a NO NO in my opinion when it comes to breeding parent reared African species. In the U.K and throughout Europe frozen pinkie maggots are the favoured source of insect food, half ripe grass and millet sprays are favoured by myself for rearing chicks along with my eggfood/rearing mix.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
Diane

thewaxbill wrote:with my eggfood/rearing mix.
Sounds interesting, would like to hear what you put in that. We have a diet and Food section here viewforum.php?f=42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
SamDavis

thewaxbill wrote:I have bred Melba Finches in the past and have actually just purchased some to breed with this year, i do not use any livefood and have not done so for around 5/6 years now, mealworms are a NO NO in my opinion when it comes to breeding parent reared African species. In the U.K and throughout Europe frozen pinkie maggots are the favoured source of insect food, half ripe grass and millet sprays are favoured by myself for rearing chicks along with my eggfood/rearing mix.
Regards Bob
Breeding melbas without livefood - Bob, you'd be a hero in Australia!
In UK/Europe I often read of frozen store bought pinkie maggots - I wonder why people don't have flyboxes to breed their own maggots?
west finch

Hi all
I just fledged my first melba’s a few days ago, five in the nest all very well feathered . Live food was frozen white ants ,maggots and what ever else they found in the aviary and plenty of grass seed heads . Been wanting to breed them for a long time and picked up this young pair early this year off Avishoot. They are a very nice pair no aggression at all.
Cheers
Work smarter not harder !

Return to “Melba Finch”