Pairing Ob's

Includes Species Profile
crazy cuban

Hi

Had this pair of obs for ages and they didn't do anything.

I've just recently lost the hen bird and was wondering whether or not i should buy 1 or 2 new hens so they can pair themselves up.

Is this a good idea or should i get 1 hen and see if he pairs up with her and if not buy another one
CC
TomDeGraaff

Letting birds choose their mates is always worth trying. I've only kept orange-breasts as colonies so they choose their own that way. Others can offer more specific advice. I did find, however, that they did not breed well as 2 or 3 pairs but improved greatly after that.
In future, I will group them then extract the pairs.
Craig52

Imo,orange breasts don't pr for life and if one happens to die,the bird left will quite happily accept another partner,so go out and buy another hen or pr if you think the cock bird maybe too old.The best way to buy OB's is half coloured,cocks will be showing a few red feathers in the brow. Cheers Craig
crazy cuban

Crocnshas I was thinking about replacing the cockbird but he has a vibrant orange chest so I would like to breed from him.

What is the recommended breeding age for OB's
CC
Craig52

crazy cuban wrote:Crocnshas I was thinking about replacing the cockbird but he has a vibrant orange chest so I would like to breed from him.

What is the recommended breeding age for OB's
1-3 years after that their on the way out imo,if you pr him to a young hen you might get a couple of nests of good orange/red fronted birds from him. Craig

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”