orange breasts

Includes Species Profile
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used a hose on mist for a few hours (before the big drought :lol: I may have caused it :oops: )
other options could be an air conditioning unit, fans or just standing in front of the nest with a few sheets of paper :lol:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Diane

Good luck, I know its a worry, I had the same thing last year with the Adelaide heatwave. :oops:
During hot weather I hosed the aviary roof down after I had laid towels to stop the water draining off. I also hosed the walls and the canvas blind down too, it acted a bit like an air con.
Other quick solutions could be raiding trees or palms for leafy branches and putting them on the roof and against the walls and wire, anything to create a bit of shade and then hosing them down.
I even went as far as putting in large ice blocks in the planters, the birds loved them, the minute I was out of the aviary they gathered around the ice block taking advantage of the cooler area, watered the plants too!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

oh, so you are the one to blame Jay! :lol: I did hose roof but didn't put towels (was rushing to get to work). Also hang an old bedsheet which I soaked. and wet some of the river sand. might have to install some of those mist sprayers. I used to have some somewhere. Also hubby rememberd we used to have a gazebo in the garage - thou legs got bent on a very windy day -maybe we can put it up over the most exposed aviary.Thanks for the suggestions. might also see if putting up shadecloth some distance off the aviary might help.
flaP
Diane

I have seen shadecloth over the roof of an aviary raised up about 4 or 6 inches on attached legs, hope that makes sense :whoa:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

Yes that is exactly what I mean. hoping we can set up the gazebo like that but if not will use the shadecloth.
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When first locating avairys take into consideration any nice big trees you can locate them under. But Auto waterers are great when it reaches 40 degrees like it did here yesterday and the day before. On a timer and flush the bowls and over the side twice a day. Baby quail that hatched 2 days ago are coping because of tree and watering. Temp is down to 28 today.
LML
LML

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”