orange breasts

Includes Species Profile
crazy cuban

does anyone have any tips on breeding O/B ive heard they need lots of live food :?: :?: :?: :?:
CC
Diane

The OB I have just get mini mealworms and the little compost flies but not any regular basis. They do spend a lot of time on the aviary floor fossicking around in the bark.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best results I ever had were from weevil infested seed. The weevils are just the right size and had copious quantities of them.
Anyone who has weevil infested seed is my friend, I take it off their hands and feed the finches as a live food.
LML
LML
dRAG_jUNKIE

They probably would breed without live food but feed it if u can, mine go nuts for termites
Keeping: fresh air 😅
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would think that livefood would be necessary.
They spend a lot of time on the ground, and will pick p bits and pieces there, they like mini mealies, termites, maggots, etc.
They don't usually nest in a box (though it does happen), they prefer baskets and dry brush
They like quite a large space, and should not be housed with aggressive finches/other birds. they are very hardy and can hold their own in a mixed collection, but I personally wouldn't risk housing them with cubans/green singers WHEN BREEDING in a small cage. large aviaries would probably be ok.
They will hybridise with red strawbs, so be careful with those.
:D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine prefer to nest in grass/bush and the closer to the ground the better. No problems between them and the Cubans here. But the avairy is a 3.4 long by 2 wide and 1.8 high. No problems with the Javas either.
LML
LML
flap

I am a newbie to birds. We are getting one pair of OB and one pair of yellow stars. Just wondering whether compost worms are something either species would eat as live food? Not keen on bringing termites into the property! could try with fruit fly by leaving fruit under a mesh but we have a worm farm which would make it an easy source of live food if they were into them. Any thoughts? Thanks. :)
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is information on the forum - DIY I think - on making various fruit fly traps. Haven't tried worms from a worm farm but suspect they could be a bit on the big side, particularly for the O/B who are tiny little finches.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK mine get insectivore out of a box which they nibble on rarely , have tried live food in every form ...cooked , raw , chopped , with heads , without heads , mushed into cake you name it :roll: total waste of time.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
flap

Yes I was wondering about the size. Was thinking maybe the very young worms might be ok... Sounds like people are just trying things out to see how it goes so I guess we can do the same and see what happens.
flaP

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”