red avadavat

Includes Species Profile
Craig52

A few years ago when i had red strawberrys and green stawberrys,they bred quite well.I supplied an offal seed mix from a cereal seed cleaning company.This contained phalaris,phalaris minor and many other weed seeds.Both reds and greens bred like mice(in seperate aviaries of coarse)and didn't touch the comercial seed supplied in hoppers.These small finches search out the grasses for the tiniest seeds and i found that they are frustrated with the large commercial seeds we supply,hence the common practice of plucking each other in the green stawberry. Just something i observed for the best Cheers Craig
E Orix

No you are safe Orange Bishops and Napoleon Cockbirds generally pull the old nest apart as soon as the chicks leave it.
Small cane nesting recepticles do fine.
SamDavis

E Orix wrote:No you are safe Orange Bishops and Napoleon Cockbirds generally pull the old nest apart as soon as the chicks leave it.
Small cane nesting recepticles do fine.
That's a shame. I was hoping I'd need a colony of both Orange Bishops and Napoleons, along with 2 new large aviaries
captain

hi crazy,my first go at breeding strawbs has put a smile on my face! :) :) ,last wk 6 came out of nest an still going strong :clap: :clap:
Aussie_Bengo

At my apartment I had an OB Cock in my aviary on the balcony, once the season was about to come in he would start a loud tweeting (it sounded like he was having a conversation or something with a constant chatter) from around four in the morning, as others have mentioned, my better half became less and less tolerant of this over time and I couldn't help but agree since it was virtually at the window. The inevitable came and I moved him to good home...............Now!..... the moral of the story is that a few months back I was given the opportunity to pick up a young Strawberry Cock bird and he has only just finished coloring up. Unfortunately it seems from some of the earlier posts here that my suspicions about the Strawberry having a family trait of this early morning call to the ladies are confirmed. :(

Time will tell if this guy follows suit.

Cheers
RedFacedPieds

Craig,
Where did you get the 'offal seed mix' from? I'm about to obtain strawberries & wanting to find out as much info as i can!
Cheers
RFP
Craig52

RedFacedPieds wrote:Craig,
Where did you get the 'offal seed mix' from? I'm about to obtain strawberries & wanting to find out as much info as i can!
Cheers
RFP
I've pm you RFP's Craig
RedFacedPieds

Craig,
All good found seed cleaners!
Cheers
RFP

Return to “Red Avadavat”