red avadavat

Includes Species Profile
matcho

POLAR GOULDIANS wrote:Hi all,
Could everyone do the forum a large favour and allow this topic to remain about the original post and not let it get hi-jacked by Harv 123blah blahs desperate attemt to annoy people and wallow in their pity.
C'mon folks, wake up and see the pattern. Surely there are some amateur physchologists among us ?
Polar,
Whats' the problem? The question is "Red Avadats" nothing more nothing less. Sorry if I'm an old f..t and asked a pertinent question if they were "ruddies" as I knew any small little red bird more than 30 years ago was called. I was given the answer. That's all I asked. As for persons "wallowing in their pity and attempting to annoy people" I suggest you should lighten up. Its a forum for gods sake where people can exchange thoughts and opinions. :evil:
Clawd

I have three pair of Strawbs, two pair in one aviary (5*2.5) and one pair in a smaller aviary (3*1.5), the later recently arriving from the Lowes. Strawbs are stunning birds, particularly when the male goes into his breeding suit.

Two pairs currently have nests for the first time - largish and unkempt nests. The birds are generally quite shy and spend a lot of time down low in and around the grasses though the single pair seem quite friendly. I haven't yet bred any but hope to shortly (very shortly if lucky). My birds are with TCPF, Crimsons and Painted in the larger aviary and TCPF in the smaller aviary.

The male has a beautiful song so I was interested to read comments re early morning calls - I haven't heard that yet and I'm often up before dawn. I'll pay more attention.

I got these in preference over OB's as ever since I was a kid I wanted Strawbs. Graham Bull has a good article on his aussiefinchbreeders website.

Regards

Clawd
HARVEY123456789

bit harsh mate and im still on topic lighten up a bit ? as i said i have seen orange brested waxbills , starwbs n ruddies in the same aviary n with all of them breeding together fine ,
Diane

I have an older strawberry cockbird and although he hasnt sung for a little while, they do have a lovely song, a soft trilling type of sound.

I have a couple of pairs of OBs and one of the cocks does call out a fair bit in the very early morning, a sort of constant, quite loud for the size of bird "cheep cheep". Ive only noticed this with the pair that have had young previously, not with the pair that have yet to produce young. Wondering if its a dominance thing?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
POLAR GOULDIANS

Hi Matcho,
You asked a question that was exactly on topic and my comment had nothing to do with you.
If someone ( ? ) wants to buy birds, maybe they should put an add in the wanted section instead of being a P I T A in a section where other people are asking genuine questions. :)
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
SamDavis

I'd say I'm a KEEPER of red strawberries rather than a breeder. I have bred a few but I've never had huge success with them. Many people seem to breed heaps of them but not me. Recent pairs I've kept seem to build nests but never manage to fledge more than the odd chick and I've not been able to pinpoint the issue so I've just put it down to bad luck. Hopefully someone will divulge some sort of secret to success!
Tiaris

This is the first year for a while that I haven't kept & bred Red Strawbs. They love a grassy aviary - much more so than most exotic estrildid finches. If they have plenty of grass nest site options I found they prefer to nest in grasses over brush (or receptacles of any kind). Also found they achieve better colour with more access to direct sunlight.
E Orix

I had Red Strawberry Finches in my aviary a few years ago.At the same time there was a quite large colony of Grenadier Weavers in the same aviary.
Grenadier cockbirds don't pull their nests apart once the hen has fledged the chicks. Virtually to a bird every Strawberry nest that produced young was when the parents lined an old Weavers nest.I also agree that they spent a huge amount of their time in the thick tall grass.I guess that is why they call so much.
The only down side I found was that I had to bring them in during winter as long grass,low temp. and rain spelt disaster for them in particular the first year birds. I would keep them again if they stayed in breeding colour.I now prefer O/Breasted as they remain good looking all season.
Tiaris

At the risk of getting off topic (please forgive me), I believe a highly favoured natural nest site for Orangebreasts is disused weaver nests too.
SamDavis

E Orix wrote:Virtually to a bird every Strawberry nest that produced young was when the parents lined an old Weavers nest.
Tiaris wrote:At the risk of getting off topic (please forgive me), I believe a highly favoured natural nest site for Orangebreasts is disused weaver nests too.
So I should establish a colony of weavers if I'm to seriously breed stawbs and OBs? I hope they don't prefer Napolean nests as it will already be difficult convincing my wife of the need for a colony of Grenadiers :lol: :lol:

Return to “Red Avadavat”