finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very nice Avadavats :thumbup:
roma9009

Well done
dukem

Thank you. :wave:
I will be posting their development here.
dukem

This is a little video with the Red Avadavat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQ7e7V ... e=youtu.be
Craig52

Hi dukem,nice red avadavat's and violet ears.One observation that i noticed is that they really can't handle those large meal worms and just bite their heads off which is a real waste unless you have other finches in there like parrot finches or soft bills.
What other live foods do you feed other than meal worms for your waxbills ?. Cheers Craig
dukem

Craig52 wrote:Hi dukem,nice red avadavat's and violet ears.One observation that i noticed is that they really can't handle those large meal worms and just bite their heads off which is a real waste unless you have other finches in there like parrot finches or soft bills.
What other live foods do you feed other than meal worms for your waxbills ?. Cheers Craig
Hello Craig52,
I only give them meal worms the large meal worms they can handle them they eat the head then they suck the meal worms the only thing that survive is the skin. They dont like very much when i put calcium powder in the meal worms is the case when i make this video. I have in the same aviary serinus hypostictus whith chicks that is i i put the meal worms with calcium powder is for them.

Cheers Luis
Craig52

Hi dukem,the reason i asked is that most of the African waxbills we have here just bite the heads off large meal worms and discard the rest.If small or mini mealworms are fed they bite the heads off and as you said extract the moisture from the mealworm body and discard the shell or swallow small mealworms whole,i have never seen a cordon run a large mealworm through its bill to extract the moisture as they always bite their heads off and dump them on the floor where they quickly go black and unpalatable.
So by clearly looking at all the dead mealworms on the floor of your aviary with missing heads i would say that they are surviving on the mealworm heads alone and the body juices are wasted,imo you should be feeding mealworms a third to half that size. Cheers Craig
dukem

Craig52 wrote:Hi dukem,the reason i asked is that most of the African waxbills we have here just bite the heads off large meal worms and discard the rest.If small or mini mealworms are fed they bite the heads off and as you said extract the moisture from the mealworm body and discard the shell or swallow small mealworms whole,i have never seen a cordon run a large mealworm through its bill to extract the moisture as they always bite their heads off and dump them on the floor where they quickly go black and unpalatable.
So by clearly looking at all the dead mealworms on the floor of your aviary with missing heads i would say that they are surviving on the mealworm heads alone and the body juices are wasted,imo you should be feeding mealworms a third to half that size. Cheers Craig
Hi,
These are the smallest meal worms that i can find here and the mealworms on the floor only happen when i put calcium, next day the remains of meal worms disappear. I had a couple of grey singers that only eat the heads, not all birds have the same behavior.

Cheers Luis

Return to “Red Avadavat”