Multiple RC pairs per aviary

Includes Species Profile
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was told years ago never to keep two pairs of RC cordons in the same aviary and never bothered to question this. Did a little reading and apparently this isn't such a big deal? Wondering what the consensus on the forum is.

Aviary in question is 7mx2m and planted.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine fought when breeding..6.5 x 5.5mtr..better of as a single pair imo
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Agree, the two pr might be fine out of the breeding season but come that time there will be aggression normally with the cock birds but hens can be also. It will be the dominant pr that controls breeding, feeding especially at the live food station even if more stations are supplied they will cross over to protect it. I'm not sure what happens with say 3 pr or 5 pr in a mixed aviary but i still think there would be dominant pr or prs so some prs wouldn't breed. imo
Tiaris

I have tried numerous single pairs, and several each of 2pr,3pr,4pr & 6pr together over the years. Harmony varied from just occasional bickering to constant fighting. Only young birds were put together from crowded holding aviaries where more than 1pr were tried. All produced young but single pairs were unsurprisingly by far the most productive and consistent breeders. I do know of very productive colonies but only in very large aviaries. The most Cordons I ever bred was when dad & I had 12 single pairs & bred 300+ young in just over a year (mid 1980s). Some pairs then fledged young every 4 weeks. It was very rare to have less than 4 in a clutch (mostly 5s) & there were 2 clutches of 7. At that time we were feeding a termite nest per day - a 2 gallon bucket of termites + dust.

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”