Sexing at fledging?

Includes Species Profile
spanna

Had 3 young RCCB's out the nest the other day, and noticed today (now that they are out in the open aviary rather than hiding in the brush) that one seems to be quite a bit more blue than the others. I know avishoot had a strain where young cocks fledged with partial red cheek patches, but has anyone else noticed these colour differences? I'll try and get some pics later, cloudy and drizzling here at the moment.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

from what I have seen and been told , is that you can tell the differance as the males will be a darker blue , but it has been a while since I had cordons...pete
spanna

Yeah I did some more reading of my few different sources (much better than working on assignments!!! :lol: ) and they agree. WOOT for a spare hen!!!
SamDavis

I think Matty (???) mentioned that blue down the flanks of fledglings may indicate cocks. I've never taken any notice before but today I caught up 5 young ones. Only 1 of 5 has blue down the flanks. Hopefully this means I've got 4 hens! Is this a recognised method of sexing them?
mattymeischke

Yup, that was me, but it's based on my minimal experience of one (the current) clutch of three. Two are the same, the other has more intense blue which spreads down both flanks.
Their beaks are starting to change colour, so we'll see soon if this method is correct in this small sample (n=3).
If we pool our results, we could make n=8! :cloppy:

Are you almost ready for a (related) pair?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
spanna

Well this has been accurate for me. The one that was darker at fledging is a cock, and the lighter 2 are hens. Almost fully coloured now, and looking great!
SamDavis

mattymeischke wrote: If we pool our results, we could make n=8! :cloppy:
Plus spanna's 3 (n=11) and there's another one I couldn't catch today, so n=12. I doubt a statistically significant sample but getting there!
mattymeischke wrote:Are you almost ready for a (related) pair?
Happy to swap a few whenever you're ready.
spanna wrote:Well this has been accurate for me. The one that was darker at fledging is a cock, and the lighter 2 are hens. Almost fully coloured now, and looking great!
Not sure if mine are darker. It is obvious that one has blue extending down both flanks, whilst the others have no blue in this area. I'll take a photo tomorrow as they're in a small flight cage.
SamDavis

Here's some photos...

A possible hen
RCCBHen.jpg
And a possible cock...
RCCBCock.jpg
However, as I caught 6 young ones I doubt all were from the same clutch. It's likely I missed catching one last time and the pic of the cock is this one - otherwise I've got 5/6 hens!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattymeischke

Nice.
Today I noticed some colour coming in to the cheeks of my putative cock.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”