Red Sisken pitchig

Includes Species Profile
alvin

Hi
Just found three newly hatched young on the floor, is this common with siskens, what could the reason be.
dukem

Normaly is the male who kill or throw out the chicks try separate the male next time.
The other possibility is diseases check the chicks if they have a black spot in the belly or something suspicious if they die in the nest and the female throw them out.
Good luck.
lardles

Red Siskens can be very frustrating. I have never had any trouble with pairs laying and rearing young to around two weeks, but after that I have had troubles for reasons such as cold snaps, severe storms ( they were nesting out in the flight) and for reasons I cant fathom. Hen siskens are known to stop brooding at 10 days, so cold nights dont help, but this might not mean they would throw them out, just dessert the nest.

As long as they have crushed sunflower, niger and milk thistle then this is a good base diet, plus I give them Leb cucumber, seeding grasses. I put mealworms in but not sure how keen they are on these. Never had a clutch of greater than three either, two seems to be the norm.

last season my reliable pair went down 3 times for no fledglings, deserted first two ( due to storms I think) and in the last the youngster lasted about a week. Other pair showed zero interest in breeding, but it was their 1st season, however have since lost the hen.

So it could be for any number of reasons that your clutch unfortunately ended up on the ground, but if it keeps happening then it might be the pair themselves and I would split them up.
Hope this is of help, Lyle
elferoz777

from my experience with Green singers it may be an over eager cock tossing the young to put the hen back down again.

Getting a spare hen may help keep him busy though I am not too sure as I sold my birds before testing the theory...then of course I had the advice given to me and could not test it.

Cant hurt to try though it is an expensive test.

I will be keeping an eye on my siskin pair and may get a spare hen at the next sale in case
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Red Siskin”