Hints on Breeding

Includes Species Profile
Greg41

Like a lot of people attempting to breed Red Siskins I find it very frustrating at times.
One pair raised 2 cluthes of two with no problems but the last 2 nests have not had one to fledge,
either dead within a few days or as the last one today which had appeared to be fully feathered and healthy
found on the floor with its head picked[before or after?]
If any one can pass on any tips, things that worked for them or whaterver It would be much appreciated.
I won't go into what I have tried but welcome any type of comment.

Cheers Greg
GDG
Tiaris

Greg,

Did the dead young have full crops? What (if any) other species share the aviary? Which rearing foods are provided? Are there more than one pair of Siskins per aviary?

I don't currently breed them but when I did, I gave fresh & varied green seedheads, thistle heads, brassicas, etc (especially aphid-infested ones) at least twice/day when they were feeding young.
The main losses of young which mine experienced were at the combination of: 10 day old stage when the mother stops brooding them, fewer than 3 young in the clutch (lack of body warmth), & we had a colder than usual night (even in summer). These dead young invariably were well fed but died from the cooler night temperature when exposed and unfeathered. This wouldn't be the issue with your early hatchling deaths so I then would look to diet and/or nest interference as possible causes.
BONE

Even though I had a shocker this year (11 young from 3 prs) I find them not difficult to breed. This year I set up new aviaries and testing the waters so to speak with the how warn/cold they got. As mentioned the 10 day old to about 13 days is the most critical as no brooding hen. I live on the Sunshine coast in Qld and still lost young ones at ten days old in September as it just to cool at night. 18-20 deg what it needs to be at night. I place clear sheeting up for a month or 2 to get though. Diet MUST have plenty of Hulled sunflower, Australian Niger, Rape, Canary ect. (Oil seeds)
I don't feed any finch mix at all dry, but spout a bit with the above mentioned oil seeds. My nesting material is white mop head cut in short lengths and pulled apart. As much green seed heads ect as possible. I find the Dandelion leaves the best flat greens. I run 1 pr pr section (no trio's).
Good Luck next season.
Greg41

Thanks for the replys,I think that I have most bases covered but will need to be better
prepared next breeding season.The last young to die was 15 days out of nest and appeared to
have had its head attacked, I think Dad was too keen to put the hen to nest again.
The only other birds in that aviary are a young pair of Cordon Blue.
Frustration is the hardest part of breeding these, but I did get enough young to set up another
couple of pairs .

Cheers
GDG
GoldGreen80

Hi Guys,

I am new at breeding siskins and I am told for nesting material you need coconut fibre and kapok.
Is this vital?
Any tips on material for breeding on either Red or Green siskins would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Tiaris

Not vital at all. short lengths of teased hessian are vg.

Return to “Red Siskin”