colour question

Includes Species Profile
amalan11

I was offered a pair of these today for $100 .Apart from being a bit expensive I noticed they were both the standard green and red but each had about 30 random blue feathers through the green area,is that right for the species? I thought they may not be all red face and may have some blue face in them ....
Finchman1

If they are pure red face they should not have any blue feathers through the green body
amalan11

mm thought not,they were realy dark blue too .I have one red face cock and one blue face hen( brought when red face hen died and I could not get a red face hen anywhere ,I was assured a blue face hen would be fine ..they have nothing to do with eachother!) I was pretty sure these guys today were a cross. thanks :laugh:
E Orix

There are alot of Red Faced Parrot Finches with Blue on the head some with the line between the Red and Green.
It has been discussed at length and they are not crossed with Blue Face as that crossing seems to be infertile.
Anyway the cross has far more blue on the face.
I have some with the blue line through one of my Red Faced Colonies.
They may have evolved from some breeders north of Sydney
Tiaris

Agree with E.Orix, as blue/red crosses always have blue face with red thickly surrounding it on the outside of the blue area. I have never heard of any of these hybrids ever breeding. I have also bred some red faced birds from totally pure stock with a faint blue line surrounding the outside of the red & this is a natural variable trait on red-faced (& also Peales PF). This thin blue line normally occurs on female red-faced & usually behind the red on the crown. I believe that blue feathers intermittently appearing on the green body plumage of any parrotfinch is either a parrotfinch version of induced melanism or is worn plumage (either way usually a result of adverse environmental factors). If the face/head markings appear as per a normal red-faced PF it isn't likely to be a result of hybrid genes.
Craig52

I agree with orix and tiaris, but i think he was talking about blue in the back,many years ago a chap by the name Ray Tuck in Port Macquarie,had a colony of blue backed RF.The red was normal and not the colour of the seagreen bird.At that stage, he was not selling any and i dont know where they ended up. Also,Rays birds were kept in a dark and dingy aviary which i think my have contributed to their colour differance.
Cheers Craig :thumbup:
Last edited by Craig52 on 09 Mar 2012, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
spanna

crocnshas wrote:I agree with orix and tiaris, but i think he was talking about blue in the back,many years ago a chap by the name Ray Tuck in Port Macquarie,had a colony of blue backed RF.The red was normal and not the colour of the seagreen bird.At that stage, he was not selling any and i dont know what happened to them. Also,what do you get when you mix red with green? blue.The thin blue line where the the red meets the green could be the result of this. Also,Rays birds were kept in a dark and dingy aviary which i think my have contributed to their colour differance.
Not to pick holes, but when you mix red with green you actually get brown :lol:
Interesting topic, as have never seen or heard of this before...
E Orix

You could say the reason you haven't come across it is because you live too far away from the action,BUT I wouldn't say that would I :crazy: :crazy:
natamambo

spanna wrote:
crocnshas wrote:I agree with orix and tiaris, but i think he was talking about blue in the back,many years ago a chap by the name Ray Tuck in Port Macquarie,had a colony of blue backed RF.The red was normal and not the colour of the seagreen bird.At that stage, he was not selling any and i dont know what happened to them. Also,what do you get when you mix red with green? blue.The thin blue line where the the red meets the green could be the result of this. Also,Rays birds were kept in a dark and dingy aviary which i think my have contributed to their colour differance.
Not to pick holes, but when you mix red with green you actually get brown :lol:
Interesting topic, as have never seen or heard of this before...
Actually, when you leave out red and yellow you get blue, green is made by yellow pigment plus blue structural light. This would reinforce the environmental cause theory.
Craig52

:silent: :silent: :silent: :wave:

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”