RFPF Infertility???

Includes Species Profile
tonytoast

Have a pair of RFPF that have just been evicted from their fourth unsuccesful nest (human landlord ruins all their fun but he always waits 3-4 weeks before inspection)....each nest has had 1-2 eggs which did not appear to have ever been fertilised.

Here's the question....how many chances is too many chances. I almost split them after the third but their quick attempts to rebuild and try again meant that I couldn't have separated them anyways.

I have a batchelor awaiting the future youngsters from this pair (originally purchased a pair....well, a pair of boys) and he may die waiting.

Option A...give em another go...fifth time is a charm
Option B...swap the cock birds
Option C...send them off for counselling and maybe the IVF register.

Pretty sure A is my only option but would be intersted to know if anyone has experienced a similar scenario??? Maybe there is Option D

Toast
Myzomela

How old are the birds?
Why not try switching the cocks?
Research; evaluate;observe;act
djb78

Well C is out of the question. If female has had a break in between clutches by letting her sit and calcium have been given so she can replenish list calcium and she looks fit and healthy then its your choice to allow her to go again but if she's looking tired and worn out best to stop. Changing cocks as myzo stated is another option you could try. I would check the state of your hen before deciding what you wish to do.
Danny
jnorriss

I may have remembered wrongly but seem to remember that I read somewhere on the web that tri colours can get obese if too much food available and this can cause infertilty. The suggestion was to look around the male vent and see if it looks 'fatty'. I don't know if this can also be a problem with RFPFs and also knowing your aviary I would think they get plenty of exercise so obesity would not seem a problem....anyway just a thought.
tonytoast

Myzomela wrote:How old are the birds?
Cock bird is unknown but the hen was purchased in August last year...my understanding was that she was between 6-12 months old when purchased??? No reason to doubt this.
Myzomela wrote:Why not try switching the cocks?
Yeh, that was option B....might be stressful for her though.
Craig52

Toast,if you don't know how old the cock bird is,i would definately be swapping him,he could be past his useby date.But in saying that,most of my prs had 3 to 4 failed nests and then went on to produce young in low numbers and gradually produced 4s and 5s as they worked out what to do. Cheers Craig
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Iam having the same problem with a pair of mine. They have another week or they are being swapped around with a pair I know that have produced, just dont keep kidding your self with extra chances swapp them around , that way you will know if it the cock or the hen...Pete
tonytoast

poitta wrote:Iam having the same problem with a pair of mine. They have another week or they are being swapped around with a pair I know that have produced, just dont keep kidding your self with extra chances swapp them around , that way you will know if it the cock or the hen...Pete
Tough words...but probably right...! I guess the only challenge for my little hen bird is that a new boy in the hood might be quite keen to push out another four sets of eggs her. Cold days, and my time poorness may result in her and the current cock bird having another attempt.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tonytoast wrote:
poitta wrote:Iam having the same problem with a pair of mine. They have another week or they are being swapped around with a pair I know that have produced, just dont keep kidding your self with extra chances swapp them around , that way you will know if it the cock or the hen...Pete
Tough words...but probably right...! I guess the only challenge for my little hen bird is that a new boy in the hood might be quite keen to push out another four sets of eggs her. Cold days, and my time poorness may result in her and the current cock bird having another attempt.
Correct me if I'm wrong but will this be her 5th nest your talking about? If it is IMO I would let her rest...I don't let my birds go past 3 nests, others may disagree,its just that laying eggs etc takes alot out of them, and you may find hen eggbound or worse especially since we are coming into colder weather too..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Weaver

I wouldn't worry about resting the hen if she is only laying 1 or 2 eggs per round. Change the cock birds over by all means, but I think the problem is more likely to be age related.
The fact she only lays 1 or 2 eggs points to her being older. Infertility could be caused by him being long in the tooth.

Sorry, but they do decline rapidly as they get older.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”