Red Faced Parrot Finches

Includes Species Profile
gouldian 06

To all who are breeding Red Faced Parrot finches my self and a friend purchased two pair each in the early 90s and we had some success, my friend made a trip to Broken Hill so see a Family friend and he was breeding a lot of parrot finches and he noticed the nesting area in the aviary was very dark, you could hardly see your out stretched hand in front of you, it gave me an idea so i darkened my nesting area up and had improved results all most immediately was wondering if any body else has found this.In my younger days i spent a lot of time in the tropics and know how shaded the Big trees can be it got me thinking it was worth a try, it also helped having a Silky Oak on one end of aviary helping to shade the area i also had to house some Red Browse in the same aviary and they took to it too.I had a friend on Kangaroo Island who wanted me to come over and see his aviary .He had it situated facing east and under a big wattle tree with wattle hanging over most of front of aviary and a little room inside the brush took up 90 percent of interior and it was from top to bottom of the aviary and he bred a lot of birds.So i had no hesitation upon putting Red B rouse in the aviary too and they took to it and I had good results. They were all getting meal worms,fly pupae and soaked seed and biscuit mix at various stages.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”