Basic breeding

Includes Species Profile
Isienfier

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting theses guys to go to nest. I have a pair and they are always first to the live food when I put it in. But still have had no luck breeding. Any ideas?
Cheers
Craig52

Isienfier wrote:Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting theses guys to go to nest. I have a pair and they are always first to the live food when I put it in. But still have had no luck breeding. Any ideas?
Cheers
That's the problem with rfpf's,they would rather gorge themselves on high protein food than breed.You need to cut back on livefood and feed plenty of green seeding heads,then up the livefood when they start sitting imo. Craig
garyh

treat them mean and keep them keen,thats what i use to do ,keep the food source minimal,and they breed well ,garyh
tonytoast

Might be a silly question but are you sure that you have a pair (and by that I don't mean two). Too many stories heard about getting this part wrong.
finchman67

well lets look at your birds are they male and female,if they are thats a start , are they in with other birds. what sort of nesting sights have you got and are they plenty of bush about 1.5 metres off the ground . how long have you had them . just throwing out some ideas, having had these birds years ago kept basic foods seed ,greens no live food and breed well, didn't keep for long as they were distubing my masks from nesting. best of luck hope you have some success

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”