RFPF hen home invasions

Includes Species Profile
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a pair of red-faced parrotfinches in a mixed collection.

This week, the hen has started taking over the nests of other finches and doing parenting duties, much to the dismay of the actual parents of the chicks.

On monday she entered an emblema nest and spent most of the day sitting on five very confused emblema chicks. She didn't do them any harm and seemed to be feeding them adequately, although she was quite aggressive towards to the emblema parents when they tried to retake the nest.

Then yesterday she kicked a cordon hen off of her chicks and decided to feed and care for them for most of the day. The cordons, not fond of being disturbed, didn't return to the nest so I moved the chicks to a canary nest in another aviary. No losses there, thankfully.

Finally, today she was caring for a different nest of emblemas, whose parents were equally as pleased as the first nest.

What's more, she also has her own nest full of eggs that she and her partner are taking turns incubating.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before? Is she just an over-eager new parent that's just getting carried away a little, or do you think this is more aggressive in nature? Should I be doing something?
garyh

I haven't had this happen to me ,but i would be checking to make sure that her eggs are fertile as it maybe two hens that you have sharing a nest,i have seen that happen before,cheers garyh
Craig52

I agree with Gary, also canaries wont or rarely feed young finches as they have a different feeding regime. Where as young canaries stretch their necks up as high as possible to get fed finches put their heads as low as possible on an angle and throw one wing up to prevent the other siblings being fed so keep an eye on them to see if they are being fed. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it was my rfpf I'd remove her and partner to their own aviary or cabinet...otherwise you may lose more young from her disturbance... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also canaries wont or rarely feed young finches as they have a different feeding regime
Yeah, unfortunately the canaries are my least bad option. The cordons are still alive though, so fingers crossed.

The RFPF eggs are fertile.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”