Young in Nest (Pied??)

Includes Species Profile
waynomelb

I have a pair of Red Face, one is a Pied Cock (70% yellow) the hen is a bird i bred last year 2% Pied.

They have had a few problems with Clutch 1 and 2, as it was the Hens first breeding attempt. Now they are on Clutch 3 and i see young poking their heads out the nest.

My question is? What are the chances the young will be Pied?

I'm so excited as i have not Bred Pied Parrot Finches before.

Will post picks as soon as they fledge.

Wayne
GregH

I'm not going to predict the percentage of "colour" on the prodgeny but if both parents are pieds then the odds of the young being pied also has to be 100%.
bleeding green

I also have some young in the nest. This will be (fingers crossed) my first sucess with finches. This is the 3rd nest for this pair, 1st were infertile, 2nd 1 hatched but died straight away and now this one where 4 from 4 hatched and 3 are doing well almost a week on. I'm not going to hold my breathe but I am very excited.
My pair, hen is about 50% pied and male is normal so I'm expecting all normal looking birds which some will be split for pied, Does this sound correct? Do split or pieds have an differing pre feather colouring then normal do, say like colour of beak or skin etc?
MadHatter

Unless it its different in RFPF, pied is usually a simple recessive mutation, so breeding pied to normal should produce 100% normal split pieds.
Slick

All depends have your fingers crossed iv seen when both parent are very pied & 2 out 4 had very little pied. If you ever sell any let me know just pm me very desperate for pied
waynomelb

Ok there are 2 x young in the nest.

1st one came out today, mostly green, one wing has yellow markings and there are also yellow markings on its belly.

Does anyone know if they will show more yellow after their first moult?
Slick

Ooh yehh.. Good sign.. Once they start to moult more pied should appear..good luck... Do you know any one selling pied..
mackstaa

Hey guys I know im digging up an old post but just wanted to clarify a few things on this ripper species.

Pied is not recessive gene at all it is Dominant, you can produce a youngster pied from only 1 pied parents.
There is no Split pied...

Even better if the youngster has decent markings out of the nest, most certainly will be a nice pied when he/she is older :clap:

Is anyone having success breeding with 1 heavy pied and getting good breeding results, i hear they an be infertile.
Mackstaa
Tiaris

Pied is definitely dominant inheritence. Pied to pied will definitely produce all pieds. Pied to normal will produce roughly half pied & half normal. No such thing as a split pied. Young pieds all have yellow beak & the existence of pied body feathers or lack thereof at fledging don't necessarily reflect pied markings at maturity but generally those showing a reasonable amount of pied feathers at fledging will moult into more heavily pied birds at maturity. Some seem to get more yellow with age so beware seeing a near yellow bird available at bird sales as these are highly likely to be older birds. Very random gene.
shox

it could take about 18 months for the full pied colour to come out. Usually the key (not in all circumstances) is the bottom beak being yellow is a good indicator after about ten weeks. Good luck

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”