GAY???

Includes Species Profile
benrayjay

I have what i thought were a pair, they have sex, but very reluctantly!! today i notice the "hen" singing i think, can anyone describe the males song to me. i am pretty sure i have 2 guys :shock: :shock: :shock:
dano_68

What species?

I have a hen Cordon that sings and hops up and down on the perch with a piece of grass in her beak exactly like a cock bird does...why? ummm, monkey see monkey do? lol
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some males who do not have a mate and have not for some time get a little desperate and jump first and check later. :oops:
LML
LML
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I read something about green avadavats the other day, they mated, one sang, they went to nest, but no eggs ever appeared. Turns out they were two cocks :crazy:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
benrayjay

red face parrot finch
dano_68

:oops: Sorry Ben, I jumped in on the last msg of the tread and didn't notice it was in the RFPF page! lol

Anyway, RFPF are notorious for not following the typical sexing techniques. Are you sure they are both cockbirds? Some older hens can colour up better than some younger cocks! So do they both trill?
benrayjay

if trilling describes the males song, then yes they both trill. i have two boys one of whom is being raped on a regular basis, should i get him out and put him in my holding cage??? also they both build a nest, not sure if hens build nests do they?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

not sure on nests, but yeah only males trill, so I'd say get one of them out :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Netsurfer

You can easily tell what they are just look at the vent, pretty-much like in Canaries. Also the red mask in males is dark-fiery red, whereas in females a little diluted (paler). If you have two males or two females you probably wouldn't be able to tell. Anyhow, two male would not mate with each-other, they may share a sleeping nest but have never seen them mate. On the other hand White winged Wrens even the juveniles tend to or what it appears to be mating with each other, is it just some kind of a social behavior or are they really mating I can't say.

Another thought is they may be old birds, if they're not laying eggs! Normally young hens lay almost continuously.
ruthieharris

LOL! aw bless em
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”