Why is it so hard?

Includes Species Profile
waynomelb

Why is it so hard to sex Red Face parrot FInches?

I have 4 7 birds, 5 bred last year, and i have no idea what i have.

Can anyone please help me with the best way to tell them apart, any help appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne
gouldianpaul

Hi Wayne,
I'm no expert but i believe the size and depth of color of the red bib is what i use....also at this time of the year my cocks are starting to sing ....have different colored rings on your birds so that you can identify any bird that sings....hope that helps..regards, Paul
Diane

I go by the red mask going past the eye on the cock bird as well as the depth of colour. Hens dont seem to have the depth of colour nor does the red extend as far back past the eye on the hens.
However if you get a really well coloured hen and a poorly coloured cockbird :?
There is a youtube video of a male RFPF for you to compare with your birds here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7lMmk47 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also a great pic by Russell Kingston on Danny's website here
http://geckodan.com/index.php?page=birds?finches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Tiaris

Best to combine as many techniques as possible especially with the "grey area" ones which are always hardest to pick.
Quite a few differences but most are not obvious without close observation.
Cocks: Sing their chattery trill, have darker red (on head & rump/tail) which is brighter and more extensive especially behing the eye, greens are brighter with a more vivid sheen, most mature cocks (not all) will show a few red feathers on the vent, tail is slightly longer with more prominant upper central 2 feathers, head is wider (best observed & compared on the crown of the bird looking down from above a hand-held bird).
Hens: Paler more subdued red and green (best observed & compared by looking at the throat & belly of a hand-held bird), less extensive red on head particularly evident behind the eye, usually totally lack any red feathers on the vent, have wider black lores (between eye & bill) due to less exagerated red facial area, slightly smaller overall size with mature specimens.
All these features are variable and many of the differences are marginal.
I recommend catching them all up & have good look at them in the hand & run the most obvious few pairs as single pairs for the best chance of breeding success.
waynomelb

Thanks for that,

I think i have 6 males and a female but i really am not sure. I think i might catch them all and compare them to each other and see.
Tiaris

Sorry, I thought you had 47 birds all in together. If they are 6 cocks & 1 hen removing 5 of the cocks will take alot of "pressure" off the lady & give the remaining pair the best chance of success.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”