Key things to know?

Includes Species Profile
flap

Today I bought our first ever pair of RFPF, pied hen and normal male until I can get a pied cock birds. Have had a quick read about anything peculiar to them. One key thing seems to be tendency to overeat which can affect health and fertility. So feed lots of greens and low protein seed.
Plus not so easy to sex, aggressive mating, ok with nest inspections. Need to be wormed and treated for coccidosis regularly. Am I on the right track so far?
What are some other important things to know? What is the preference for nests? (nest boxes, baskets, wicker balls?)
Thank you for any insights. :-)
flaP
mackstaa

In any case buying a pied cock bird for your hen doesnt always get nice pieds, but it will give you 100% pieds if thats what you want.

Yep your on the right track, they arent all that aggressive, I dont know about in a smaller aviary, 2 cockbirds after 1 hen, now thats aggressive.
They love alot of nesting material, gouldian boxes or wicker nests, even the finch hotel lol will do it, some of them prefer to nest near the ground, experiment a bit.
Closer nest to the floor for summer months. They love any food! They jam their nests with as much material they can find on the ground including chook and emu feathers. They do best 1 pair per aviary for me, I dont have luck with colony breeding but do better when I take pairs out. They are the energy of the aviary. Spot on with the meds but dont over do it, Some are for bacteria treatment which will only show up under unhygenic or wet conditions. Dont use wormer on hot days! They are not aggressive to any of my other finches in the aviary ( I think Gouldians are the most aggressive in my lot) :wave:
Mackstaa
flap

Thanks for those tips Mackstaa, we are planning on just keeping the one pair, so that won't be a problem. Haven't quite worked out whether to keep them on their own in a small aviary, or with other finches in a bigger one. We get wet floors over the winter, so will need to watch for bacteria etc. I am really looking forward to keeping them!
As for the pied cock bird, it isn't about how pied the offspring are, but we visually like the look of the pied over the solid colours. Got your PM too, so let me know when you get a chance to look at your birds. :-)
flaP
Greg41

Hi Flap, I was also told that they do better in a large aviary, more room to exercise to help overcome their overeating habits.
Cheers Greg.
GDG
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine prefered nest boxes (budgie ones) about middle of aviary height....Split rung young different colours easier to tell whos who...and yes bred more one pair per aviary ... :thumbup: otherwise you get heap of males slamming poor hen into wire as she is trying to loose her suitors....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
mackstaa

They are pretty much happy with what ever you offer them, but they can do better in certain arrangements....In my instance, they COULD do better, they are a little over crowded in my aviaries and they produce less young than others I must admit.
I pied gene will generally produce lighter green colouring on the back.
I promise you are priority when I get back home Flap :) :think:
Mackstaa
flap

Thanks Mackstaa. Except now I am not sure if I need a male or a female :crazy: . (see my other thread)
flaP
mackstaa

Thats ok, I cant promise you what you will get :crazy: :lolno: :roll:
Mackstaa

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”