Mixing with Orange Breasts?

Includes Species Profile
davlee

Is this OK or could they hybridize?

Dave
Craig52

It is quite rare but i have seen a cross orange breast ruddy (African Fire) The main concern would be mixing with red strawberry finches.
On another note, if there is a single sex of one species in a mixed species aviary nature takes its coarse.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have orange breasts and ruddys in the same aviary with no issues. As Craig said, keep them in pairs (with no spares) and hybridization is very unlikely.
Tiaris

They are 2 species perfectly suited to mixing together as they have very similar preferences and are both very peaceful in temperament. Extra dish of red panicum, small livefood (ideally termites, maggots, drosophila), neither are that fussed on greens. Ruddies love to nest low - smallest enclosed cane nests at about knee-height are a favourite. OBs same a bit higher (or brush). Both love feathers for nest lining. Very rare for them to hybridise despite being housed together in thousands of instances over the years.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Both are favourites of mine, get on well in a mixed avairy and are fairly easy to breed. Like the guys said, give them a mix of nests in the lower half of the avairy, some live food and greens and enjoy.
LML
LML

Return to “Ruddie/Firefinch”