why colour is different

Includes Species Profile
karlisa

hi, just got 2 of these sold as a young pair,having not had these before im not sure why the hen who's meant to be about 12 weeks old has a paler orange head and the cock bird is a bit older and his head is darker and brighter very different !! is the hen paler because shes young ? will she go darker or closer to his colour ? i'll see if I can attach a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
branchez

In Seagreens the hens are usually duller.
Jack
deegs

They look like a nice pair to me. The Cock will always be brighter and as Jack says the hen duller. Hope you plan on moving them to an aviary as they need a bit of space. If they don't get enough exercise they have a predisposition to gaining weight and it's also not really fair on them to be in such a small cage. They are very energetic little birds.
Cheers.
Tiaris

Bit like humans - females are usually a bit duller. :shifty:
matcho

Tiaris wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 16:43 Bit like humans - females are usually a bit duller. :shifty:
You're gamer than me Tiaris! :crazy:
Craig52

Haha :lolno: Tiaris. There is quite a few different shades of the orange on sea greens emerging lately and they all seem to be getting lighter in colour with a more blue than green body colour. The biscuit coloured face one is a good example and can be seen in the Redface Parrot finch forum in species on here or search Seagreen parrot finch with the search button. Craig
hanabi

Craig52 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 20:01 There is quite a few different shades of the orange on sea greens emerging lately and they all seem to be getting lighter in colour with a more blue than green body colour.
Craig do you think the different shades are simply a result of breeders deliberately selecting for those traits?
karlisa

thanks for all your responses except the one about females cause I am one :lolno: :wave: only joking don't feel bad :P and no theyre not staying in that cage that was to get pics,a lot of people talk about having trouble telling the sexes apart that's why I wondered why mine look so different but they are beautiful birds
Craig52

hanabi wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 21:14
Craig52 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 20:01 There is quite a few different shades of the orange on sea greens emerging lately and they all seem to be getting lighter in colour with a more blue than green body colour.
Craig do you think the different shades are simply a result of breeders deliberately selecting for those traits?
I do hanabi. quite a few are breeding for the blue bodied bird of which will have a creamy white face and rump in my opinion. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bit like humans - females are usually a bit duller. :shifty:
Women know that if we let men go right on believing this they are happier. Nice pair of birds.
LML
LML

Return to “Sea Green Parrot Finch”