seagreen finch

Includes Species Profile
nicko

Vettepilot_6 - Do they prefer an open nest or closed dark nest box.
Good I have some old man saltbush in the garden for my finches
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine all use nestboxes and pack it heavily with november grass and emu feathers...so packed you cant see in if you wanted to...😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Stu

arthur wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 11:51 If they've DEFINITELY come from 2 normal looking parents . .

They are DEFINITELY 2 hens . . 100%
Yep.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have both of these birds come from 2 normal looking parents? Are they from different pairs?
LML
LML
Tiaris

nicko wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 19:42 Vettepilot_6 - Do they prefer an open nest or closed dark nest box.
Good I have some old man saltbush in the garden for my finches
Mine love a six-inch plastic pot with the top screwed onto a square of plywood & the top half of the base cut off. I hang these at knee height & they invariably are the preferred nest site for my RFPFs.
nicko

finchbreeder wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 10:09 Have both of these birds come from 2 normal looking parents? Are they from different pairs?
LML

The people I bought them from have 2 pairs of RFPF's but only one pair seem to be breeding seagreens, they are avid bird keepers with many different breeds so I think so.
By the way finchbreeder, what's called normal looking ??
Tiaris

Normal is bright green body & bright red head & tail. Sea-green is a sex-linked recessive colour mutation.
If they were both bred from normal phenotype (appearance) parents, it is not possible to have a male sea-green.
Having said that, I am convinced the 2 pics of your birds are a male in the top pic & on the left in the bottom one, so it is not likely that this bird at least was produced from 2 red & green RFPFs (male split to sea-green).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If they were both bred from normal phenotype (appearance) parents, it is not possible to have a male sea-green.
Having said that, I am convinced the 2 pics of your birds are a male in the top pic & on the left in the bottom one, so it is not likely that this bird at least was produced from 2 red & green RFPFs (male split to sea-green)."

That's why I asked, because I had re read the series of posts and was a little confused how they came from the same pair of "normals" when they look like a "real" pair. But if the suppliers have several pair then it is more likely, if they actually have seagreens. And much better because you will not be putting siblings together.
LML
LML
nicko

Four AFF people have said they're a pair so I'll take that - mybe I got the wrong end of the stick, any way I'm happy.
All this sex linked recessive buisiness is something I don't quite comprehend yet.
arthur

Even if you don't understand the 'mechanics', you should keep a copy of the expectations

Pairings where genetic make-up cannot be guaranteed should be avoided, for obvious reasons . .

Not least of which is to protect your own reputation when selling

You can find a 'calculator' for RFPF mutations on the 'net . . :thumbup:

http://www.finchbreederdatabase.com/php ... cies_id=32

Return to “Sea Green Parrot Finch”