White Self Bengalese

Includes Species Profile
Aussie_Bengo

The Dark Eyed White which can be described as a pied Bengalese with one big white patch that covers the whole body. These White Selfs have their natural non pied colour still present in their DNA and is simply concealed by the pied marking that covers it. This kind of White has dark eyes which helps you to think of it as a fully pied bird, the colour of the eye will help to show what the natural colour of the bird is underneath. The White Bengalese has both dominant and recessive pied factors present and it is best practice to breed a white to a light pied (lightly variegated) for best results. It has been said that breeding a full white to another full white can increase the likeliness of blindness in the future. When showing these finches, other than size and type that are a standard consideration, the White Self birds can sometimes have poor feather coverage at the bend of the wing and at the ear. One or both points are noticeable on the pictures in this post. This feature also gets worse as fully white birds are mated together, so to overcome this feature then they should be paired with lightly variegated birds that have good feather coverage in these areas.
Australian Images Below
Dark Eyed White.2e.jpg
Dark Eyed White.3e.jpg
The Dark Eyed White Self Bengalese is probably the most known Self in Australia and through my inquiries unfortunately tends to have more value to some bird dealers that I have spoken with when compared to a Self Coloured Bengalese such as the Chocolate or Chestnut. In truth, it is probably just as hard if not harder to produce a Coloured Self Bengalese than the Dark Eyed White due to the dominant nature of the white or pied factor, and in coloured birds this white factor is very difficult to remove.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GregH

I've seen the term "Self" in relation to Bengalese so often but without knowing exactly what is is. Can you elaborate?
Aussie_Bengo

The term Self is used to describe a Bengalese that is all one colour, generally a term used for the natural colour of the bird, be it Chocolate, Ginger etc. with no pied markings. As with the above post I have used the term Self to describe an all white bird that is free of any coloured markings. To my knowledge this is still a correct use of the word.

I hope that helps slightly.

Regards
salaar

Very nice bird. :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Society Finch”