Keeping Society Finches in mixes aviary?

Includes Species Profile
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep bengalese separate from Gouldians as well.
TomDeGraaff

I would be wary of keeping Bengalese (Society) finches in with any of the mannikin / munia group for fear of hybrids. Also, whilst they are a lovely and nonagressive finch, I have found them to compete with other finches for nest sites and materials.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have had hybrid problems twice in all the years. :oops: Once when I only had a pair of bengos and a pair of chestnuts. One of the Chestnuts died and the bengos I thought were a pair were both hens. It was the Chestnut cock who decided on hybids. Quite nice looking birds who all hapily lived out their lives in my holding avairy. And just this season when I had my Javas seperated in ajoining avairys to stop breeding, then when ready to start again put the cock Java back in with his mate. But as he was in peak breeding condition and the bengo hen squatted. :oops: I now have 2 really beautiful hybrids who look a lot like giant masks without the yellow. They will also have the pleasure of a lifetime here. So even though the bengos hybridise very easily, it seems to me that it is other cocks that are the problem.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:And just this season when I had my Javas seperated in ajoining avairys to stop breeding, then when ready to start again put the cock Java back in with his mate. But as he was in peak breeding condition and the bengo hen squatted. :oops: I now have 2 really beautiful hybrids who look a lot like giant masks without the yellow.LML
Could we see some pics please?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BlackCobra

I'm going by memory, I once had red strawb breed with a orange breast, also a chestnut with another bird, I really haven't had many cross breed in 52 years, I think only the 2 pairs, but I am careful in what I throw into the aviaries.
TomDeGraaff

finchbreeder wrote:Have had hybrid problems twice in all the years. :oops: Once when I only had a pair of bengos and a pair of chestnuts. One of the Chestnuts died and the bengos I thought were a pair were both hens. It was the Chestnut cock who decided on hybids. Quite nice looking birds who all hapily lived out their lives in my holding avairy. And just this season when I had my Javas seperated in ajoining avairys to stop breeding, then when ready to start again put the cock Java back in with his mate. But as he was in peak breeding condition and the bengo hen squatted. :oops: I now have 2 really beautiful hybrids who look a lot like giant masks without the yellow. They will also have the pleasure of a lifetime here. So even though the bengos hybridise very easily, it seems to me that it is other cocks that are the problem.
LML
These accidental things happen but really, 2 hybrid instances is 2 more than is really wanted. I know that once produced, some of these birds are lovely. I had 3 yellow star doublebarred hybrids given to me. They lived out their lives happily in a birdy monastery.

It doesn't matter whose fault (cock or hen), putting the species together is not wise, nor orange-breasts and strawbs.

I'll be a bit cheeky and point out that you did say that " and the bengo hen squatted" so she was partly to blame!!!! :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Bengo hen squatted for her mate. It is just that someone else was faster on the jump. :oops:
LML
LML
BlackCobra

finchbreeder wrote:The Bengo hen squatted for her mate. It is just that someone else was faster on the jump. :oops:
LML
Yes I have seen that happen a few times before, theres another post going at the moment about a different colour star baby, I did wonder if another bird did jump on first lol.
TomDeGraaff

finchbreeder wrote:The Bengo hen squatted for her mate. It is just that someone else was faster on the jump. :oops:
LML
Oooooooohhhhhhhh !!! NOW I get it ! :oops:
BlackCobra

BlackCobra wrote:
LML
Yes I have seen that happen a few times before, theres another post going at the moment about a different colour star baby, I did wonder if another bird did jump on first lol.
Its funny it nearly happened yesterday, when they were about to mate a fawn bengo tried to get to the hen first but just missed out, its a pity he didn't beat the other male, the fawn is a much nicer cock & the hen was a nice pied but her mate was very drab with a touch white near eye, I tossed all 17 in the aviary to let them sort themselves out, I was expecting a lot more cocks as usual but seems pretty balanced, once I get the big aviary fixed up Ill sort a few nice pairs & put in there, then ill start working on nicer pieds, Pieds are my favorites.

Return to “Society Finch”