pied???

Includes Species Profile
Tiaris

Pic is poor, but you can see fanned tail feathers & fluffed up torso feathers - clear signs of illness in a Saint Helena which are otherwise a sleek, slender bird when in good health.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Point taken. Thats what you get for not seeing a sick Saint before.
LML
LML
Denozo

An update on this bird. The person who had it on hold never came for it so I am now the owner of this bird.
I had to pick a mate for it because the shop had excess males and this bird is a female and they won't sell lone females in that case.
When picking a male I found one which has some white on his flight feathers. When I looked at them in the shop they did not appear to be sick but my eye isn't as trained as I image yours is Tiaris however regardless of health they have gone into isolation to begin their quarantine.
Here are some photos of the two birds and a close up of the white in the flight feathers. Excuse the messy carry cage it is time for a clean. The female also lost some of her tail feathers when she was caught in the shop.
DSCN0828.JPG
DSCN0829.JPG
DSCN0831.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

You will have to wait and see regarding the pied on the hen bird. The bit of white in the wing of the cock bird is nothing, probably a bit of earlier protein deficiency imo. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck and look forward to the progress reports, at monthly intervals. :thumbup:
LML
LML
AMCA26

As Craig said a little like that on the wing would be a deficiancey. But around the neck definite Pied. Seems to be common around the neck and on the head for Pied in my opinion.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4 and a bit months on, what happened with this pair?
LML
LML
Denozo

Going well, I had an interrupted beginning of the season but they have settled in. They built a nest and the hen bird has had a definite curved tail for the last 6 weeks. They are now the first ones to the livefood tray. All the signs are positive but I will keep you posted
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does she still have the white collar? Has she done a moult? Good luck in breeding with them.
LML
LML
Denozo

She has moulted and still has the white collar. Some bad news I noticed ants around the nest today. I had a look and 4 dead chicks. All had full crops and around a week old. Not sure if it was the ants that killed them or not.

Return to “St Helena Waxbill”