tri colored nuns

Includes Species Profile
shnapper20

IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
hi I thought I would write on my experience so far with these birds. I bought 2 pr about 5-6 ys ago , they weren't dna sexed, I wasn't sure what age but they looked stunning so I didn't really care. Nothing happened for the next 2 yrs , I figured they were to old all cocks? yr 3 they bred ,6 young in total . I got them dna tested and placed a pair back in the aviary. They have been breeding every yr since. I was keeping an eye out for new blood but havent spotted any yet. I was told these birds can live up to 12yrs. it took the young around a yr before they fully colored up. I left them with the parents for 6mths. Mine have been breeding in a stand of elephant grass I have in the aviary the nests are pretty rough made from the leaves of the elephant grass. I have not noticed any aggression with these birds, the young are fairly raucous when feeding from the parents , and I still think they look stunning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great news story. And they are a stunning bird. Congratulations.
LML
LML
elferoz777

love the photos
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really great photos, and it looks like you've got a really lush lovely aviary setup. No aggression trouble with the blue wrens?
shnapper20

Shane Gowland wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 18:13 Really great photos, and it looks like you've got a really lush lovely aviary setup. No aggression trouble with the blue wrens?
no aggression problems I was sus on the wrens father, but I have not noticed any aggression from this one, possibly because he grew up in the aviary.
shnapper20

shnapper20 wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 12:18
Shane Gowland wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 18:13 Really great photos, and it looks like you've got a really lush lovely aviary setup. No aggression trouble with the blue wrens?
no aggression problems I was sus on the wrens father, but I have not noticed any aggression from this one, possibly because he grew up in the aviary.
i may have mozzed myself, found a cuban cock scalped yesterday morning near the live food station??????????? its the second cuban cock I've lost in there in 9mths. The one I lost yesterday was happily bouncing around the evening before, he did have a blue leg ring though. I replaced him with another young cock from my holding aviary. If I lose any more cubans in with the wrens I'll remove the remaining cubans.
arthur

You will . . blue ring or no . .
.. . . ..............................

" . . Contact: Contact arthur
13 Mar 2011, 13:54

I've posted this many times before . . and while many still disagree . . I will post it again . . . :yawn: :crazy:

If you keep wrens with ANY other species of bird . .
sooner or later
the wrens will be the ONLY occupants of that aviary . . "
Craig52

Totally agree arthur, most will not agree but take it from the experienced. In particular now that they are starting to breed i have always said that you won't see any aggression whilst they know you are watching which is the case with most aggressive species in a mixed collection.

Return to “Tri Coloured Nun”