Tri Coloured Nuns

Includes Species Profile
$bill

Bit of good news today. It appears one of my pairs of tri coloured are setting on eggs. I noticed this odd shape nest a week or so back but never thought much about it. Had a few eggs inside but I thought maybe the gouldians...lol
Today I noticed a tri colour sitting in the bushes about a metre from the nest. As I looked more the hen tri poked her head out of the nest or i'd say it was the hen so I reversed back and left them be :clap:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent news Bill. Hope you are able to breed a few.
LML
LML
$bill

I might get a photo of the nest in a day or so. They appear very touchy birds and just guessing I think they would move off the nest at the slightest disturbance. I have to catch diamonds in there next week so that's not good
$bill

While feeding the birds today I noticed one of the Tri Colours was busy eating away at the Lettuce. Since purchased a couple months ago this is the first time I'd ever viewed any of these birds doing that.
Late today I had to fill up a shelter feed bowl. While doing so the what I'd call hen Tri Colour Nun left her nest so I did a quick inspection and it appears she probably has two young hatched in the past couple of days.
$bill

I took this photo of these 3 tri colours about a week ago. Still all good and parents still feeding away. Just goes to show you how much they enjoy lettuce and my mashed boiled egg mix.
Surprised too that these birds for first time breeders are really good parents. now that I have thinned out my diamond sparrow colony it might get even better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to see they are breeding. Hope the handling does not put the parents off.
LML
LML
$bill

caught the balance of my diamonds today as I was short on my last order. did the finger tap test on the tri colours nest of young and all good :P . bit bare in that aviary now so the other pair of tri's might go to nest.
they may have already but it'd hard to tell what goes on in that aviary unless you bring a camera into play.
$bill

After 50 odd years playing around on and off with finches and I think my first attempt with the tri colours my first nest of 3 young flew today :clap: Pretty bad weather here too cold,wet and very windy so I plan to check later on today to make sure they are at least in the shelter tonight and the drop blinds are secure.
So overall pretty happy with the outcome.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

$bill wrote:After 50 odd years playing around on and off with finches and I think my first attempt with the tri colours my first nest of 3 young flew today :clap: Pretty bad weather here too cold,wet and very windy so I plan to check later on today to make sure they are at least in the shelter tonight and the drop blinds are secure.
So overall pretty happy with the outcome.

Nice one... cold wet?? whats that?? 31c up here feels like summer still,even went swimming yesterday....will be glad when the chill comes... :thumbup: :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Tri Coloured Nun”