Breeding TCPF

Includes Species Profile
JOD
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

New to breeding TCPF`s, has anyone had any sucsess breeding in a breeding cabinet or in an avairy as a colony?
iaos

I have had TCPF in a double cabinet for 2 seasons now. I have managed to get them to sit on three nests with only one clutch having fertile eggs. Of the two fertile eggs they tossed one young very early and the other one a couple of days later. Not sure if the tossing of the chicks was diet related or from being disturbed while I was in the bird area.

The main problem has been obesity (hence so many infertile eggs). I have posted photos elsewhere of how fat they can get :oops: You really need to keep them lean until they are ready to breed. Goodluck.
JOD

Thanks for sharing your experience, I`ll do a little more research before I decide which way I`ll go.
Tiaris

TCPF are totally unsuited to cabinet breeding in my opinion. The obesity issue already alluded to is very common with this species & they benefit greatly from the extra exercise afforded by larger aviaries. If they can't be kept fit & lean you will hardly get a fertile egg out of them. In my experience only one pair of this species in each aviary results in far better breeding results than a multiple pair colony. Compatability/pair bonding is also more important with Tri-colours compared to other PFs.
Danny

I second Tiaris - when I have bugger all I breed them well. Let them build into a colony and the breeding almost stops.

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”